Letter to the Editor: Faculty members pledge to stand against hate in aftermath of election

By Chris Campbell

Dear UCLA students and employees,

We, the undersigned, are UCLA faculty who stand united against acts of hate and bigotry directed at our students and fellow employees in the wake of the election of Donald Trump. Words and acts of hate are forms of violence that threaten our mission as a public research university committed to the betterment of our global society through teaching, learning and the dissemination of new knowledge.

We pledge to stand up for, support and defend the most vulnerable among us, those deliberately targeted in the lead up to the election and those who are now victims of hate in its wake – members of our community who are undocumented, people of color, LGBTQ people, Muslims and other religious minorities, immigrants, the differently abled, and women.

We have seen firsthand the anxiety and fear generated in the months leading up to this election and in its aftermath.

As educators, we affirm UCLA’s commitment to fostering an environment that is inclusive and respectful of diversity in all its forms – in our classrooms, our offices, on campus and beyond. We are prepared to defend and support our campus community as we protect our democracy.

If you agree with us, we urge you to sign your name to our Action Network petition.

UCLA Faculty United Executive Committee
Alicia Gaspar de Alba
Frank Tobias Higbie
Gil Hochberg
David Kim
Tamara Levitz
Purnima Mankekar
Laure Murat
Steven Nelson
Ananya Roy
Charlene Villaseñor Black
Maite Zubiaurre

Chris Campbell | Alumnus
Chris Campbell was the Daily Bruin Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year. He previously served as Radio Director and as a Radio contributor. He writes about everything, but focuses on Westwood and city issues.