Submission: Bruins should respect post-election coping methods

By Kevin Guadamuz

In response to the result of the 2016 presidential election and the outspoken reactions from the community, the Daily Bruin is running a series of submissions from readers. Click here to read more.

People deal with devastating news in different ways. Some lash out in anger, others retreat into solitude and some deal with it through comedy. Do not feel anger or frustration toward them. Let them deal with their emotions in their own way.

I understand many of you are afraid because of Donald Trump’s election. I am too. I couldn’t sleep well that night. I’m sure many of you felt the same. Yesterday, we all seemed to walk in sort of a daze, as if we were in someone else’s dream.

But even though we may disagree with the results, “our” nation has spoken. Fear has won the day, and as dutiful brothers and sisters we know it’s our job to show compassion. To those who voted out of anger at the establishment: I do not bear any ill will toward you because you did something many people take for granted – exercising your natural rights.

To those who are afraid and consider themselves marginalized, do not let your emotions get the best of you. We need to unite and understand, but most of all we need to heal. We will need to fight for and protect each other. We will need to stand up for our brothers, sisters and siblings in the LGBTQ, Chicanx, Black and Afro, UndocuGrads, Muslim and feminist communities and every other community that may need our help.

Walking out of classes, closing down freeways and defacing public properties are some of the ways to release frustration. I will fight tooth and nail to protect that right of expression. But please remember one thing – there are children watching, and acting foolishly will only teach these young and bright minds the only way things get done is through destruction.

I chose to avoid going out on Tuesday with my fellow Bruins. But I did choose to sit down and gather my thoughts on what transpired. I don’t write this trying to tell you what to do with your frustrations. I am writing this to make sense of mine – I felt the the need for a hug, the need to yell, vent and cry. Most importantly, I am writing this to let myself know that we will be okay as long as we have each other’s backs.

Martin Luther King Jr. once said “Hate begets hate, violence begets violence, toughness begets greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love.” This doesn’t just mean toward our aggressors, but also between our own communities. Stay strong and resolute in your ambitions and goals. Do not let emotions lead to verbal or physical violence.

And let’s not forget the words of Charlie Chaplin: “A day without laughter is a day wasted,” and, “I believe in the power of laughter and tears as an antidote to hatred and terror.”

Please stay safe out there and remember love is not the weapon of the weak, but a virtue of the masses. Saludos y Poder.

Guadamuz is a third-year history student.

Kevin Guadamuz