Women’s soccer attributes this season’s success to focus, camaraderie

Redshirt junior defender Zoey Goralski said that watching film over the offseason helped the Bruins’ young back line learn how to position themselves to support each other. As a result, UCLA has given up 11 less goals this year compared to 2015. (Eileen Lising/Daily Bruin)

By Kyle Cardoza

Last year wasn’t a typical year for UCLA women’s soccer.

The loss of experienced seniors, lack of chemistry and an inconsistent back line all contributed to the Bruins’ sub-.500 season and their exclusion from the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 19 years.

Now, after upsetting No. 5 USC and securing a top-four spot in the Pac-12, No. 18 UCLA (13-5-1, 7-3-1 Pac-12) has rebounded from its previous substandard campaign.

[Related: New formation powers women’s soccer to an upset win over No. 5 USC]

“Obviously last year was an off year for us,” said redshirt junior defender Zoey Goralski. “It’s good to get back on track to achieve our goals – our goal was making the tournament this year, so we’ve done that. We are just going to achieve our higher goals right now and get as far as we can (in the tournament).”

Most of the issues in 2015 stemmed from an inexperienced defense, according to coach Amanda Cromwell. But this season, the maturity and versatility of the everyday defenders – and strong play from freshman goalie Teagan Micah – bolstered the Bruins’ blockade in the backfield.

UCLA ceded just 21 goals in 19 games in the regular season and opponents mustered just a .091 shot percentage, as compared to 32 goals allowed and a .155 percentage last year.

“Obviously training in the offseason helped a lot,” Goralski said. “We watched a lot of video of what position to get in, how to support each other, how to drop and all that stuff.”

[Related: Women’s soccer defense boosts overall offensive strategy]

While the Bruins entered the season with a multitude of returning starters, a talented freshman class and a high national ranking, they encountered several stints of adversity throughout the regular season.

The stints included a grueling schedule consisting of bouts with eight currently ranked teams, the loss of senior forward Darian Jenkins last month and a stretch of four straight overtime games in conference season.

[Related: Women’s soccer looks to boost scoring ability in Jenkins’ absence]

But even with the absence of the veteran goal scorer and an physically exhausting stint during Pac-12 play, UCLA didn’t suffer tremendously on the pitch.

“As a team, we are just like a super strong family,” said freshman forward Sunny Dunphy. “Even though every hardship comes on our team, and it’s horrible, it makes our team much stronger as we all come together and we’re able to rise above (it).”

Despite the loss of some key experienced players, such as Kodi Lavrusky and Taylor Smith, and the addition of several new freshmen, UCLA has sustained a salient rapport throughout the year.

Cromwell and players noted that a main factor in preserving this connection throughout the 12-week campaign has been the players’ camaraderie on and off the pitch.

“There is a great mesh right now,” Cromwell said. “This is one of the most likable teams I’ve ever coached from top to bottom. They have a love for each other and you can see that on the field.”

Last year’s squad lacked the chemistry that this year’s cadre has displayed. And as the Bruins enter the postseason, it continues to be one of their main strengths.

“One of the things we live by is ‘unified excellence,’” said senior midfielder Annie Alvarado. “Every day we’re with each other, we’re working toward our greater goal and that’s what we lacked last year – we were a little bit more separate and there were more divisions. I think our leadership has really helped bring the group together.”

Kyle Cardoza | Alumnus
Cardoza joined the Bruin as a junior in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He spent time on the baseball, women's soccer and women's tennis beats.