Despite successful surgery, Josh Rosen’s return date remains unclear

Sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen underwent a successful surgery on his right shoulder Monday. Dr. Ranjan Gupta at the UC Irvine Medical Center performed the operation. (Miriam Bribiesca/Photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam

More information on quarterback Josh Rosen’s season ending injury was revealed at Monday afternoon’s press conference along with news that the sophomore successfully underwent surgery on his right shoulder hours earlier.

Despite previously saying Rosen suffered a nerve injury in an October game against Arizona State, coach Jim Mora clarified at press conferences last week and again Monday that it was “100 percent not a nerve issue.”

“I think initially when I spoke, without all the information that I didn’t have, and just mentioned the word ‘nerve,’ people reacted to that,” Mora said. “Like I said, I’m not a doctor. It had been presented as a nerve, but the human body is a mystery. I know for a fact that there is absolutely no nerve damage at all.”

Dr. Ranjan Gupta, a renowned shoulder, elbow and hand specialist at UC Irvine Medical Center, operated on Rosen’s soft tissue injury before the sophomore returned home with his parents. Rosen’s father Charles Rosen, an orthopedic surgeon, was pleased with the results of the surgery, according to Mora.

Mora, who planned on visiting Rosen later Monday night, also debunked rumors that the injury was potentially career-ending for Rosen, who is a projected top pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Another mystery was the timetable for Rosen’s return.

Mora believed Rosen would “really attack his rehab” and was aiming for the quarterback to be back in time for spring practice.

But the coach was hesitant to set a precise date, saying it would be “unfair to Josh or the medical staff or the surgeon” if the recovery took longer or shorter than expected.

web.sp.football.nbk.MP.picB.jpg
Coach Jim Mora had mentioned Rosen's injury may involve his nerves. However, Mora commented Monday that it was "100 percent not a nerve issue." (Mackenzie Possee/Assistant Photo editor)

UCLA (3-6, 1-5 Pac-12) is currently in the midst of a four-game losing streak, the longest of the Mora era. Rosen did not play against Washington State or Utah, but was on the sideline helping redshirt senior quarterback Mike Fafaul with reading opposing defenses.

“He was engaged in our meetings, he was engaged in our practices. He would go out before Washington State and tried to go and the next week we played Utah and he tried to go but he just wasn’t able to,” Mora said. “It has been hard for him, especially someone as competitive as Josh and especially when they need him the most. But that’s just who he is. He’s competitive.”

Although Rosen can’t take the field, Mora believes that the sophomore will continue working with Fafaul and quarterbacks coordinator Marques Tuiasosopo to end the slump. With only three games left, the Bruins need to win out to become bowl-eligible – starting with Oregon State (2-7, 1-5 Pac-12) this weekend.

“We can’t change the past. We have to focus on this week and Oregon State and getting a victory,” said senior linebacker Jayon Brown. “It’s a new week, we want to get bowl-eligible and Oregon State is in our way right now.”

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.