Tuesday, December 18

Arizona breaks UCLA women’s volleyball’s win streak in straight sets

Junior outside hitter Reily Buechler led the Bruins with 10 kills Friday. (Shelby Scoggins/Daily Bruin)

The Bruins’ six-game win streak has come to an end.

No. 9 UCLA (18-5, 9-4 Pac-12) women’s volleyball fell to unranked Arizona (16-10, 8-6 Pac-12) in straight sets Friday in Tuscon, Arizona.

The Wildcats had just swept their season series against USC and were looking to do the same with UCLA for the first time since 2011.

[Related: Women’s volleyball falls short against Arizona despite new formation]

In the first set, the Bruins sprung to 4-1 lead, but the set tightened up, with the Wildcats taking the set 28-26.

The two teams rallied back and forth, pushing to 26-26. Two consecutive attack errors by freshman opposite Torrey Van Winden gave Arizona the first set 28-26.

Arizona carried the momentum from their first set victory into the second, going on a 7-2 tear right away.

The Bruins battled back and were able to tie the set at 19, but the Wildcats would ultimately win the set 25-21. Senior outside hitter Kalei Mau had Arizona’s final kill.

Mau was responsible for nearly a third of Arizona’s total offense, collecting 21 kills with a hitting percentage of .367 for the match.

Arizona closed out the set 25-20 with Mau delivering the final strike once again.

Arizona put up 51 total kills and hit for .236 throughout the match. The Bruins mustered a .134 hit percentage, only 37 kills.

Junior outside hitter Reily Buechler was the only Bruin to log double digits in kills at 10 on the match. Freshman opposite Torrey Van Winden hit .115.

UCLA moves on to face unranked Arizona State on Saturday as it continues its road trip in the copper state.

Assistant Sports editor

Yekikian is an assistant Sports editor. He was previously a Sports reporter for the women's volleyball and track and field beats.