D.R.A.M., Tommy Genesis to perform at free concert on election night

(Creative Commons photo by Raffi Asdourian via Flickr)

By Emily McCormick

This post was updated Nov. 5 at 4:48 p.m.

Hip-hop artist D.R.A.M. will perform a free concert on election night, with rap artist Tommy Genesis as the opening act.

Electronic artist Oshi was originally scheduled to perform as a third artist at the concert in Ackerman Grand Ballroom, but cancelled Friday morning because of illness, said Campus Events Commissioner Jordan Dang. The Campus Events Commission is planning to try to book a third artist before Tuesday’s concert, he added.

The concert, which will begin at 8 p.m., was scheduled with Tuesday’s elections in mind, though it’s not election-themed, Dang said. CEC plans to begin the concert at 8 p.m. regardless of whether the presidential announcement has already been made. Dang said as far as he knows this is the first year CEC has booked a concert on election night.

“We were thinking it would be really cool to provide a venue so that after election results come out, whether students are happy or sad, they can come and dance and celebrate or dance away their sorrow,” he said.

Dang said UCPD officers will be present at the concert on standby in case students become rowdy following election announcements, Dang said.

[Related: Hip-hop beats ignite Bruin Bash 2016 crowd with Ty Dolla $ign show]

D.R.A.M., born Shelley Marshaun Massenburg-Smith, released his debut studio album “Big Baby D.R.A.M.” on Oct. 21. His single “Broccoli” featuring Lil Yachty has been certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. D.R.A.M. will perform again in Los Angeles at the El Rey Theatre in February 2017.

Opening act Tommy Genesis released her debut album “World Vision” in 2015. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, Genesis is signed to independent label Awful Records and performed in Los Angeles at Union Nightclub in May.

Hannah Brenchley, a second-year political science student and chief of staff of the General Representative 2 office of the Undergraduate Students Association Counci, said she thinks the concert will unite students after they attend separate campus viewing parties, such as one she helped organize with USAC and the On-Campus Housing Council at Carnesale Commons.

“There are so many different watch parties happening on campus, so having one big event for everyone to come together at the end will definitely be fun,” Brenchley said.

Second-year psychology and history student Victoria Robles said she first heard about the concert from a friend’s Facebook post Thursday night.

“I recognized the name ‘D.R.A.M.,’ but I only know his song ‘Broccoli,’” Robles said. “Hopefully I’ll know more of his songs and be exposed to more of his music and the openers.”

Robles said she has attended and enjoyed free hip hop concerts on campus in the past, including this year’s Bruin Bash with headliner Ty Dolla $ign and last year’s free show featuring rapper Casey Veggies.

Students can sign up for free tickets to Tuesday’s concert via the CEC EventBrite website, the commission announced Thursday.

Emily McCormick | Alumna
McCormick was the 2017-2018 Digital Managing Editor for the Daily Bruin. She was previously an assistant editor of the A&E section, overseeing the Music | Arts beat.