2016 Election: Yes on Proposition 56

(Justin Ma/Daily Bruin)

Don’t let the tobacco lobby’s $70 million propaganda campaign fool you into voting against Proposition 56. The “No on 56” campaign, backed by the two largest cigarette manufacturers in the United States, Philip Morris USA and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, claims the proposition will divert funds from schools to wealthy insurance companies.

That, however, is nothing more than a smokescreen.

In reality, Proposition 56 is an effective way to raise money for programs seeking to prevent and reduce smoking usage and fund the state’s health care programs for lower-income residents.

Proposition 56 will increase the current 87 cents tobacco tax by $2, for a total tax of $2.87 per pack. A majority of the estimated $1 billion to $1.4 billion first-year revenue will go toward Medi-Cal, and the remainder toward tobacco prevention and research programs.

A study from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities found that a 10 percent increase in price per pack of tobacco results in a 3 to 7 percent decrease in smoking among adults. If Proposition 56 passes, the price of the tobacco will rise by around 30 percent, suggesting a substantial decrease in smoking by the state’s residents.

Beyond that, Proposition 56’s Medi-Cal support will ultimately benefit those at most at risk of developing smoking-related diseases – the state’s youth. The increase in tobacco price targets young smokers, who are more likely to be deterred by higher prices.

And contrary to the tobacco lobby’s assertions, Proposition 56’s tax revenues will not be considered as the general fund, meaning it will have no impact on the existing measure that mandates part of the general fund to go toward public schools.

California is ranked sixth in the nation for smoking-related death rates, with 235 out of 100,000 people dying per year because of tobacco use. One death by tobacco usage is one too many and one too unnecessary. Proposition 56 will not stop everyone from smoking, but it will certainly be a big step toward reducing how many residents will die from smoking. Because of this, and the benefits the tax revenue will bring, this board endorses Proposition 56.

election-cover

Click the banner to read more election endorsements and analysis.