Men’s golf rolls into third place at Cypress Point Classic

Matt Hutchins was one of two Bruin golfers who scored the maximum number of points in Tuesday’s play against Stanford. The sophomore was also part of the two-man squad that earned three of UCLA’s six points against USC on Monday. (UCLA Athletics)

By David Gottlieb

UCLA men’s golf finished third in a field of eight at the Cypress Point Classic in Pebble Beach, California, Tuesday.

In round one, the seventh-seeded Bruins faced off against second seed No. 10 Wake Forest in four-ball best-ball play. UCLA upset Wake Forest with a score of 7 1/2 to 4 1/2.

Later on Monday, UCLA tied No. 12 USC 6-6 in foursomes, but dropped the tiebreaker to the Trojans to go 1-1 on the first day of the tournament.

UCLA played Stanford on Tuesday in a format that featured six separate one-on-one matchups. Sophomores Matt Hutchins and Patrick Murphy both earned the maximum three points, helping the Bruins to a 16-8 victory over the Cardinal, who hosted the tournament.

The Bruins will travel north again next week for the Gifford Collegiate in Napa, California. This will mark UCLA’s only home tournament of the season.

David Gottlieb | Alumnus
Gottlieb joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, women's volleyball, men's golf and women's golf beats.