Daily Bruin wins national honors, best website at Pinnacle Awards

By Tanner Walters

The Daily Bruin won six first-place awards Saturday at the College Media Association’s 2016 Pinnacle Awards ceremony in Atlanta. The organization had 12 total honors for the 2015-2016 year, including three Organizational Pinnacles.

Pinnacle Awards are national honors awarded annually to college media organizations and individuals from print, broadcast and online outlets.

The Bruin won first place for best website among four-year colleges. Organizationally, it placed second for best college media outlet and earned an honorable mention for best daily newspaper.

[Related: The Bruin wins Pacemakers for nation’s best online, daily newspaper]

Other first-place winners included former Graphics editors Alice Lin and Rosalind Chang, who were honored for best infographic with a breakdown comparing UCLA and USC, and the 2015-2016 Design directors for best newspaper opinion page/spread.

Former editors Natalie Delgadillo, Angie Wang, Ryan Nelson and Neil Bedi won first place for best multimedia news story and second place for best news package with their project on undocumented student access to higher education.

Daily Bruin Sports earned second-place honors for best online sports section in the country. Former Sports editor Claire Fahy was named best sports columnist while former editors Matt Cummings and Korbin Placet won best sports feature for their piece on longtime UCLA men’s tennis coach Billy Martin.

Former editor Aubrey Yeo took third place for best sports photo and The Bruin staff finished third in best multimedia campaign.

Just last week, the Daily Bruin was inducted to the Associated Collegiate Press Hall of Fame, the organization’s highest honor. At the awards ceremony, the paper also won a pair of National Pacemaker Awards, honoring the nation’s best college newspaper and best college online news outlet. In May, it was named best all-around newspaper in the West Coast region by the Society of Professional Journalists.

The Bruin won the state honor for best daily college newspaper at the California College Media Association’s awards ceremony earlier this year. This is the third straight year the organization has taken the statewide award.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.