USAC recap – Oct. 25

By Isabella Welch

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings usually take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Special presentations

• Devon Graves, UC student representative for the California Student Aid Commission, discussed his role on campus and spoke about improving financial aid process. He said he aims to strengthen grant programs at UCLA and improve students’ financial aid experiences.
  • Jabril Muhammad gave a short presentation on the internal vice president’s “Keeping TABs” committee. He said USAC should use the committee as a resource for accountability. He agreed with USAC to aim for a greater sense of transparency, and to make the council more accessible to students.

Agenda

• The council appointed Edwin Hernandez, a fourth-year history student, to the Community Programs Office seat on the Community Service Mini Fund.

Officer reports

• USAC President Danny Siegel said he addressed Bruin families at the Chancellor’s Welcome on Friday. He added he will be flying to Oakland on Wednesday to meet with UC President Janet Napolitano, along with undergraduate and graduate student body presidents from other campuses.
  • Internal Vice President Sabrina Zeigler discussed the Pauley Police event, which is scheduled to take place Nov. 15 in Bruin Plaza. The event aims to promote a positive relationship between students and UCPD, and safety on and off campus.
  • External Vice President Rafi Sands thanked some attendees for their involvement in the movement to register UCLA students on campus. Sands said BruinsVote! broke the UCLA record of voter registration for the first time in 100 years. He added he will also be flying to Oakland with Siegel to meet with Napolitano. The conversation will center around student labor and the possibility of raising student worker pay on the Hill, Sands said.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Ashly Mohankumar said her commission held a Stress Free Day on Tuesday afternoon. She said she looks forward to more events like this to promote a friendly environment for students.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Christina Lee said she attended a drug-free schools meeting last week and discussed resources on campus for students recovering from substance and alcohol abuse.
  • Facilities Commissioner Sandra Rhee talked about moving forward with the plan for Community Service Officers student van drivers and discussing it with UCPD. Rhee also spoke about the Food Recovery Program Initiative, which involves collecting and donating food that is not used from most used ASUCLA restaurants.

Isabella Welch