UCLA football finds confidence with backup quarterback Fafaul

Redshirt senior Mike Fafaul had only throw seven career passes before stepping in for Josh Rosen against ASU. Now, Fafaul could start for the Bruins on Saturday if Rosen is sidelined with injuries. (Jintak Han/Assistant Photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam

Redshirt senior Mike Fafaul looked up at the poster of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady hanging in his room for years.

The backup quarterback won’t be a Patriot this weekend, but he’ll have to be Brady-esque to help UCLA (3-3, 1-2 Pac-12) beat Washington State (3-2, 2-0 Pac-12) on the road.

Sophomore starter Josh Rosen left Saturday’s game twice against Arizona State after taking three sacks and landing on his arm, leaving Fafaul to man the offense.

[Related: Football faced with possible Rosen absence, aims to rebuild confidence]

Fafaul finished three of 11 with two interceptions and was sacked twice on the final drive of the game. The quarterback admitted that he needed time to adjust to the speed and style of the game and the experience would be beneficial as the season goes on.

“I feel like I’m very prepared,” Fafaul said in Saturday’s postgame press conference. “I’ve been working for this for four years now and I’m going to give it the best I can. I think I can help us win.”

Coach Jim Mora and offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu did not comment on Rosen’s injuries or status for Saturday’s game.

“If he’s ready to play, he’ll play. If he’s not, he won’t,” Mora said. “That’s my standard answer to that. He’s a competitive guy. He wants to play and we just have to make sure we make the right decision, not only short-term but long-term.”

Rosen was sidelined for practice this week and only completed individual drills at the beginning of practice, while Fafaul took first-team repetitions on the field.

Fafaul’s roommate and redshirt senior offensive lineman Conor McDermott said the quarterback seemed confident more than nervous, and that he even joked about being tired from taking Rosen’s usual snaps.

[Related: Backup quarterback falters, defense remains strong in ASU loss]

Polamalu and Fafaul’s teammates offered similar confidence that the former walk-on would be able to fill Rosen’s role if needed, especially with the playbook staying the same no matter the starter.

“With a new quarterback coming in, you always want to make him as comfortable as possible,” said redshirt senior tight end Nate Iese. “I have total confidence in Mike. He takes a lot of reps in practice, he’s a good guy in the locker room, everybody loves him on and off the field.”

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.