Men’s soccer scores 1-0 upset against No. 13 San Diego State

Sophomore midfielder Jose Hernandez scored the lone goal of the game to give the Bruins a 1-0 victory over the San Diego State Aztecs. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Cameron Patterson

Although No. 19 UCLA (6-3-1) may have had a rough start to its Pac-12 season, the men’s soccer team now has two wins under its belt after a 1-0 victory tonight over No. 13 San Diego State (6-2-3).

UCLA has had trouble against SDSU in the past. Last year, a scoreless tie after 90 minutes forced to a double overtime, and San Diego State was able to capitalize in the 103rd minute to defeat the Bruins 1-0.

Saturday’s contest would be similar – the Aztecs and Bruins were deadlocked at zero apiece for the first hour of play, but sophomore midfielder Jose Hernandez scored in the 64th minute of play.

That score was one of only four shots on goal for UCLA. Three of them came from midfielders Hernandez, sophomore Jackson Yueill and redshirt junior Brian Illoski, rather than the forwards.

The Bruins, now three games into Pac-12 play, will face Cal (4-3-2) on Thursday afternoon in Berkeley.

Cameron Patterson | Alumna
Patterson joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until 2017. She spent time on the women's basketball, men's soccer and track and field beats.