UCLA struggles to find starting running back, lacks solid run plays

After splitting time with two of his teammates, sophomore Bolu Olorunfunmi will compete with them for the starting spot. The running back is the only one to have played in all four games.(Mackenzie Possee/Assistant photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam

The Big Three no more.

Through its first four games, UCLA (2-2, 0-1 Pac-12) regularly rotated between a trio of running backs – junior Nate Starks and sophomores Bolu Olorunfunmi and Soso Jamabo.

But after lackluster performances against BYU and Stanford, in which the Bruins had 50 and 77 rushing yards respectively, it was time for a change.

At Monday’s press conference, coach Jim Mora said he would tighten his running back and receiver rotations to give starters more repetitions. By Wednesday, the starter wasn’t made clear, but Mora said all players would likely see playing time against Arizona this Saturday.

“What’s important as coaches is you do a great job during the week of putting guys in situations they’ll be in. You might not get a rep in practice that you’ll do in games. You have to make sure your planning is perfect,” Mora said. “We roll a lot of guys through. We make them work and get them involved. The more involved, the better buy in you get. Everyone will play, some more than others, some in specific situations.”

[Related: UCLA football to focus on primary receiver, rusher positions]

Coaches had been excited with the potential depth during summer training camp. Offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu intended to give the starter the majority of the carries with the back-ups receiving a smaller portion of the calls.

“I want them to compete for the starter (position),” Polamalu said after a summer camp. “I’d like to have one guy at the top of the list, then the other guys will get their playing time. I’ve kind of put a mark around 15 or 20 snaps, and then give him a little breather.”

By the season-opener against Texas A&M, there was no clear starter.

Against the Cardinal, there was not even a clear run option.

The play calling was divided roughly evenly – with 11, 10, and seven carries between the three players.

Jamabo leads the trio with 41 carries, averaging 4.8 yards a play, but the sophomore looked hobbled late in the game against the Cardinal. Olorunfunmi is the only one to have played in all four games, but is also the only one with no starts under his belt. Starks recently rejoined the team after sitting out against the Aggies and the Rebels due to “personal problems” and tallied rushing 72 yards in two games.

Despite the position battle between them, the three running backs have kept to the same message they’ve been saying in spring and summer training camps – they’ll do what it takes to get them the win.

“Whatever we have to do to win and do better on the field, we have do it,” Olorunfunmi said. “At the end of the day, we prepare every day. We got the game plan. No matter who they choose, they’re going to do a great job and step it up in the run game for us.”

Their next opponent, Arizona, is ranked 16th nationally in rushing yards with 248 per game. UCLA is just 114th in the country, averaging 117.8 yards a game.

No other Pac-12 school has less than 120 rushing yards a game.

If the Bruins want to keep up with the rest of the conference, the run game needs to take a step up and fast.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.