UCLA football shifts mindset to beating Arizona after Stanford loss

Senior linebacker Jayon Brown (left) was a quarterback spy against BYU, registering nine tackles and a sack two weeks ago, and he could fill a similar role against Arizona’s dual-threat QB Brandon Dawkins. (Mackenzie Posse/Assistant Photo editor)

By Derrek Li

Chances are most UCLA football fans are still hung up over the last-minute, heartbreaking loss to Stanford last week.

But the team had already moved on, days ago.

The Bruins (2-2, 0-1 Pac-12) returned to practice Monday with their mindset solely focused on their next game with the Arizona Wildcats (2-2, 0-1 Pac-12).

“The concern obviously when you come out of a game like that is, can you get refocused? And can you get your energy back? And your enthusiasm for the game back and get over the disappointment of the loss?” said coach Jim Mora. “Our guys have really done that, I saw a team that refocused onto our next opponent immediately.”

It’s a mindset that’s important if UCLA wants to actually meet the goal a couple Bruins stated explicitly last Saturday – a rematch with No. 7 Stanford in the Pac-12 championship game.

[Arizona predictions: This week’s picks from the Daily Bruin]

Despite what the standings show, the Bruins still feel confident about where they sit currently, understandably so – they did control the game against the No. 7 Cardinal for almost the entirety of the night.

“We’re pretty much two plays away from being 4-0 and top five in the country,” said sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen. “But we still have the same team and we can’t let it affect us.”

While the offense has been a work in progress early this season attempting to get comfortable in the new style, UCLA has been able to stand behind its defense – especially in the last couple of games.

It contained BYU to 14 points – the second touchdown only coming in fourth quarter garbage time – and held Stanford without a touchdown until the Cardinal’s final drive of the game.

[Related: UCLA’s report card against Stanford]

Yet, that drive has only added fuel to an already stout defense.

“We felt as a defense we let the team down, so we came out hungry (in practice),” said senior linebacker Jayon Brown. “We let the loss from last week feed us. We don’t want to feel like we did last week and hopefully it shows out the rest of the season.”

That’s a scary thing for an injury-plagued Arizona offense to hear, which has lost its starting quarterback Anu Solomon – officially ruled out – and its two top running backs.

After trying to power through the always-bruising Stanford defense, Rosen and company could have a respite in the comparably smaller Wildcat unit. In particular, it could be a chance to see someone truly standout in the currently crowded running back unit.

So if UCLA were honest about completely refocusing on Arizona and if the Bruins are serious about facing the Cardinal again in the Pac-12 championship, they’ll come out with the renewed intensity and focus.

To show that last week wasn’t a fluke.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.