De Neve Grab ‘N Go wraps up old menu to offer custom sandwiches

A Subway-style sandwich bar opened last Thursday in De Neve Commons, in the Grab ‘N Go area. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Laurel Scott

A new sandwich bar that allows students to custom-order sandwiches opened last Thursday in the De Neve Grab ‘N Go location.

Similar to a Subway station, students visiting the sandwich bar tell the worker behind the counter what they would like on their sandwich, and generally leave the Grab ‘N Go location with their sandwich within two and a half minutes, said Alex Macias, an assistant director for UCLA Dining Services.

In previous years, the Grab ‘N Go store offered sandwiches that were preselected based on which sold the best, he said.

“We serve 1,200 residents on the Hill, and I hope we’re able to meet their needs,” Macias said. “We felt that a good portion of those students would like the option to select what goes into their sandwich.”

[Throwback: De Neve dining hall begins offering gluten-free foods]

The sandwich bar includes ingredients De Neve Grab ‘N Go already offered and expanded options to include cheeses such as pepper jack and Swiss, and a variety of vegetables.

Macias said not many students have used the sandwich bar because it has only been open a few days, but initial feedback to Dining Services has been positive.

“We’re looking to expand the offerings while being cautious not to keep the student longer than they really have time for,” Macias said. “The sandwiches are individually wrapped, and then you’re off to class.”

Isaac Maldonado, a second-year cognitive science student, said he used to go to De Neve Grab ‘N Go last year, but stopped using it because it didn’t have too much variety.

“It’s great that they’re adding more variety,” Maldonado said. “I always expect UCLA Dining to go above and beyond in their food options since we have the best food out of all college campuses.”

Aleeyah Mithavayani, a first-year neuroscience student, said she thinks she will use the sandwich station in the future because she lives close to it.

Macias said he thinks as students become more familiar with the sandwich bar it will take even less time for them to receive their orders.

“Every year we want to make sure to try to think of ways to change our program for the better,” Macias said. “It is our intention to always keep things fresh and vibrant.”

Contributing reports from Kuhelika Ghosh, Features and student life editor.

Laurel Scott