Culver CityBus route altered to mitigate overcrowding, long commutes

By Madeleine Pauker

Students can now catch the Culver CityBus at Gateway Plaza near Ackerman Union.

The new Culver CityBus Rapid 6 bus stop was moved Monday from its location near the Semel Institute to the plaza, formerly known as Ackerman Turnaround. Buses will also arrive more frequently in the middle of the day because students living in the university apartments requested more buses to alleviate overcrowding, said Dave Karwaski, UCLA Transportation senior associate director.

Additional buses will arrive every 30 minutes between 10:12 a.m. and 2:42 p.m. and every 15 minutes between 2:42 p.m. and 7:55 p.m., said UCLA spokesperson Alison Hewitt.

Another bus, the new Rapid 6 Short Line, will also stop at the plaza. It will make eight stops instead of the usual 15 on its route to Los Angeles International Airport.

The bus stop was originally located at the plaza, but was moved in September 2013 when construction for the UCLA Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference Center began.

Student commuters said the new stop’s proximity to campus makes traveling to and from campus more convenient.

Kevin Rodriguez, a first-year computer science student, said he feels more relaxed on his commute because he knows the bus will drop him off close to his classes.

“Even though (the stop is) only a little closer to campus, it’s more convenient to walk less,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said he does not think the Rapid 6 Short Line or additional midday service are necessary because he thinks the bus comes often enough already. But Sarah Hart, a fourth-year history student, said the Rapid 6 Short Line cuts 10 to 30 minutes off her commute to her home in Torrance, California.

Hart added the Gateway Plaza location helps her catch the bus on time, which allows her to make train and bus connections.

“It’s not even five minutes, but it makes a difference between catching or missing my bus,” Hart said. “I’ve been waiting for this to happen since I transferred here.”

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.