UCLA’s running back trio still looking for a breakout performance

Running back Bolu Olorunfunmi picked up 51 yards on 11 carries Saturday against Stanford. The sophomore’s yards account for over half of the production from the “big three“ running backs. (Jintak Han/Assistant photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam

The self-proclaimed big three of running backs were ready.

UCLA (2-2, 0-1 Pac-12) struggled to run the ball consistently in previous weeks, notching 50 total yards against BYU, and was looking for a spark in its Pac-12 home opener.

Sophomore running back Bolu Olorunfunmi has played in all four of the Bruins’ games this season, but his fellow running backs Soso Jamabo and Nate Starks have each missed games in the last three weeks.

Starks did not play against Texas A&M and UNLV because of an “undisclosed” problem while Jamabo made the trip to Provo but did not suit up against BYU.

All three of the Bruins’ top rushers were available for the same game for the first time this season, hoping to impact the game and end an eight-game losing streak to the Cardinal.

The result: 92 yards on 28 carries in a 22-13 loss to No. 7 Stanford (4-0, 2-0 Pac-12).

The UCLA coaching staff spent the offseason focusing on tweaking the defense to match up to physical teams like Stanford while tailoring the offense to fit sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen’s strengths.

The defense stood its ground for the first 58 minutes before senior quarterback Ryan Burns worked the Cardinal down the field and threw the game-winning touchdown with 24 seconds on the clock.

[Related: Final two-minute touchdown drive seals Stanford victory.]

“I think we played physically,” coach Jim Mora said. “We played hard and we played tough … in terms of physicality, we weren’t pushed around, that’s for sure.”

The defense held their own but the offense couldn’t mimic the physicality of their defensive counterparts or generate momentum, particularly in the run game.

After the game, Mora and first-year offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu lamented both their play calling and the production from their running backs.

In the offseason, both coaches were more concerned with how to get their corps of running backs enough touches in games to replace the production of Paul Perkins, now with the New York Giants.

Perkins had 51.6 percent of the carries last season followed by Jamabo with 14.3 percent, Starks with 10.9, and Olorunfunmi with 7.4 percent.

This year, sophomores Jamabo and Olorunfunmi have averaged 4.8 and 4.1 yards a carry respectively, while Starks rounds out the core group with 2.5 yards per carry.

Although Polamalu stated he wanted to have “one guy at the top of the list … then the other guys will get their playing time,” none of the three have distinguished themselves from the other running backs and secured the spot as his go-to guy.

[Related: UCLA football sees abundance of running backs for 2016.]

“There’s no excuse. I have to do a better job of coaching those young backs because that’s my position and I’m disappointed in how they’re producing.” Polamalu said. “Can they produce? Yes they can. I have to help more by calling the plays. My eyes are on the whole scheme instead of seeing their rhythm and their tempo and seeing what they’re seeing.”

With Arizona visiting the Rose Bowl next week, UCLA will have to drastically improve the run game to secure its first Pac-12 victory of the season.

The Wildcats have averaged 248 yards a game, double what the Bruins have produced thus far. Through four games, UCLA is 114th in the nation in rushing yards with 117.8 a game.

“[The run game] is something we need to get an answer for immediately,” Mora said. “Immediately. We cannot go another game without being able to run the ball, no matter who we’re playing.”

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.