NCAA penalizes UCLA offensive line coach for ethics violations

(Mackenzie Possee/Assistant photo editor)

By Hanson Wang

The NCAA announced Friday morning that it has fined UCLA $5,000 and added a two-year show-cause order to offensive line coach Adrian Klemm for violating ethical conduct rules.

During the two-year show-cause order, UCLA must submit a plan for compliance within 45 days to the NCAA Committee on Infractions on how it will educate Klemm and monitor his athletically related activities, according to the NCAA. The offensive line coach must also attend an NCAA Regional Rules Seminar each year of the show-cause period.

Klemm admitted to paying $2,400 for housing and private training sessions on the behalf of two UCLA prospects, both of whom signed national letters of intent to play for the Bruins. The NCAA report stated that UCLA also violated another rule when it gave a separate recruit two official visits – currently, recruits are only allowed one official visit per campus.

Both infractions were Level II, which is the second-highest of the four violation tiers. The NCAA also announced a lesser Level III violation for impermissible off-campus contact with three recruits.

[Related: Klemm’s previous sanctions during 2015]

UCLA’s self-imposed penalties include suspending Klemm for the spring practice and recruiting period in 2015 and the first two games of the 2015-16 season.

“While I certainly did not intentionally violate NCAA rules, the fact of the matter is that I did violate NCAA rules, and I accept full responsibility,” Klemm said in a statement released by UCLA Athletics. “I need to be aware of every rule, and I will be moving forward. I’m thankful that this process has concluded, and my focus remains squarely on our student-athletes and helping them achieve their goals.”

Hanson Wang | Alumnus
Wang joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2019. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's soccer, men's tennis and women's tennis beats.