Editorial: Westwood, UCLA need increased cooperation to revive community program

By Editorial Board

From 2010 to 2014, a UCLA-sponsored annual event drew 300 to 500 students into Westwood to make it a more beautiful place. The event, which was called the Westwood Organized Meaningful Projects, deserves to be revitalized as an ongoing event.

Students planted trees, painted lampposts and repaired damaged benches, among other projects. However, in 2015, the UCLA Volunteer Center withdrew from WOMP because of transparency and liability issues.

But recently, there’s been dialogue between UCLA and Westwood officials about bringing the project back. Organizers need to adequately respond to the concerns that caused WOMP’s first cancellation if they are serious about making it happen again.

The center provided WOMP with supplies and recruitment, something that the program needs to survive. Since the university discontinued its assistance, the organization has been unable to host the event.

WOMP’s positives greatly outweigh the negatives: It improves both the appearance of Westwood, and more importantly, the relationship between students and the community around them. That doesn’t mean the program was without its problems, however, and before it can be reinstated, organizers need to address the university’s concerns and changes in the neighborhood.

[Related: Volunteer Center explains rationale for ending collaboration with WOMP]

In 2011, the Westwood Village Improvement Association, which operates the Westwood Business Improvement District, began providing cleaning services and events. Students’ service was not on par with professional work, but organizers can cooperate with the association so the two can complement each other. With both organizations coordinating resources, students can perform simpler beautification projects while the association works on projects that require more resources and maintenance.

Organizers can also work with the undergraduate student government, which has recently began to take a stronger interest in improving students’ experiences in Westwood. One of Undergraduate Students Association Council President Danny Siegel’s platforms was to better engage students with Westwood – making it clear students also want a stronger connection to the community. With the council’s support, organizers can connect with student groups to increase recruitment and funding for projects.

This would require a significant improvement in WOMP organizers’ transparency. The Volunteer Center told The Bruin in May that it was concerned about the event’s budget, liability and list of projects. If WOMP organizers expect a partnership with UCLA, they need to include the university in every step of the process. This means sharing financial information and creating safety procedures for student volunteers.

Shannon Hickman, director of the Volunteer Center, said she met with organizers and Lisa Chapman, president of the Westwood Neighborhood Council, on Sept. 7 to discuss reviving it in the coming school year. Hickman said they discussed what resources the center can provide, and that they will continue to talk in the coming weeks.

Steve Sann, UCLA alumnus and one of the founders of WOMP, told The Bruin in May that he aimed to use WOMP to connect both UCLA students and Westwood to create a sense of community. That being said, it can also be a catalyst to strengthen the relationship between the university and the neighborhood around it.

The backing is there – high student turnout in the past suggests the program would flourish if it were brought back, and the Volunteer Center’s meetings with organizers bode well for its future. Before the project can resume with the necessary resources, however, organizers need to offer the Westwood community and UCLA full transparency and cooperation in turn.

Editorial Board