UCPD on the lookout for cellphone thieves

By Madeleine Pauker

University police are searching for two women who stole a UCLA student’s cell phone last week.

The student reported she was walking on Ophir Drive about 2:15 a.m on Sept. 9. when two women approached her from behind. One of the women asked her for the time and grabbed the cellphone when the student produced it. The second woman restrained the student during the struggle and the two women ran west and got into a black sedan.

A witness who saw the incident followed the vehicle and retrieved the student’s phone, which was lying in the street.

The woman who grabbed the cellphone was described as black, 5 feet 5 inches tall and college-age with a thin build. She was wearing a gray shirt, gray pants and white sneakers.

The student reported minor abrasions on her knees.

No further information was immediately available. The case is still under investigation.

UCPD recommends students avoid walking alone at night.

Anyone with information about this case can call UCPD at 310-824-1491.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.