Officials appoint new dean for Luskin School

Gary Segura will start his term as the new dean for the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs from Jan 1, 2017. (Courtesy of UCLA Newsroom)

By Kuhelika Ghosh

UCLA officials appointed a new dean for the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs on Thursday.

Gary Segura, professor of political science at Stanford University, will start his term Jan. 1, 2017, according to an announcement by UCLA Executive Vice Chancellor Scott Waugh. He will replace Lois M. Takahashi, who has been the interim dean of the Luskin school since August 2015.

[Related: UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs names interim dean]

Segura is the Morris M. Doyle Centennial Professor of Public Policy at Stanford University and previously served as co-director of the Stanford Center for American Democracy, which explains election outcomes by analyzing data on voting, public opinion and political participation.

Segura has published more than 55 articles and chapters on issues like political representation, social rifts and the politics of America’s growing Latino minority, among others.

Segura was appointed by an advisory committee led by Linda Sarna, interim dean of the UCLA School of Nursing and Lulu Wolf Hassenplug Endowed Chair in Nursing, according to the announcement.

Frank Gilliam, who became dean in 2008, stepped down after being named chancellor of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in May 2015.

[Related: Luskin School of Public Affairs dean to leave UCLA]

Kuhelika Ghosh | Features & Student Life editor
Ghosh is the assistant news editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She covers features on UCLA students, faculty and staff, obituaries, events on campus, Greek life and the Hill. She was previously a Features & Student Life news contributor and an opinion columnist.