UCLA proved no match for traditions, power of Texas A&M fans

Over 100,000 Texas A&M fans weathered heat and humidity to watch their team take on UCLA. Gameday for the Aggies is loaded with decades-old traditions. (Miriam Bribiesca/Photo Editor)

By TuAnh Dam

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Intentionally or unintentionally, Josh Rosen provoked the 12th man.

But more than 100,000 raucous men, women, children and Miss Rev – Texas A&M’s mascot and the highest ranking member of the school’s Corps of Cadets – showed up Saturday afternoon to throw the sophomore quarterback off his game.

Whether they got into his head or not, the Aggies pulled out the upset overtime-win over No. 16 UCLA, with the crowd roaring in approval.

[Related: UCLA’s late, dramatic comeback comes up just short in Texas]

The loyal, maroon and cowboy boot-clad students and former students were cramming into Kyle Field to do what comes naturally to them – supporting their team, ranked or unranked, win or lose.

With the win, A&M continued the Southeastern Conference’s dominance over the Pac-12, 113-76-10 overall head-to-head, while steadfastly showing off its own school’s pride.

From firing their cannon, known as The Spirit of ’02, after each football score to swaying in unison to the Aggie War Hymn, Saturday’s home-opener put Texas A&M’s traditions on display.

The Midnight Yell brings together students to rehearse cheers and chants the night before a home game. Last year’s home-opener Yell brought in 5,000 more people than Texas Christian University and Baylor University did for their home games.

Unlike Westwood, the pride and spirit from the Aggie faithful seeps into College Station and the local businesses.

All three Whataburgers – the Southern version of In-N-Out – in town have stripes of maroon and A&M posters for the patrons stumbling in after the Yell. Buildings all around town, including post-game favorite chicken strip restaurant Lanes, have Aggie flags and shirts in every corner of the room.

This little corner of Texas, 95 miles north of Houston, embodies the SEC standard – one then-No.15 Arizona State couldn’t keep up with last year and UCLA wasn’t ready for either.

Both the Pac-12 and the SEC declare themselves the toughest conference in America.

But the fierceness and passion of the conference spearheaded by defending national champion Alabama, who manhandled USC 52-6 Saturday night, are beyond what the top tier Pac-12 schools can offer.

[From Saturday’s game: Rosen regrets his performance, promises better]

Last season, SEC schools averaged 78,720 fans per game with the Crimson Tide and Aggies leading the way with more than 101,000 people a game.

The Pac-12, the “conference of champions,” mustered up 51,795 fans per game, down 11 percent since peaking in 2007 per CBS’ Joe Solomon. The Trojans and Bruins led the conference in attendance with 75,358 and 66,858, respectively.

Alabama generates popularity behind Nick Saban and his four championships in the last seven years.

Despite struggles after the departure of 2012 Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M’s fans have been steadfastly loyal and football is deeply engrained in their culture.

USC and UCLA don’t have the consistency or the dominance of the Tide and the Los Angeles area, surrounded by glitzy Hollywood and relaxing beaches, doesn’t foster the same fandom as College Station.

The Pac-12 lost both games to the SEC this weekend – one a thumping, the other a nail-biter.

But the difference was clear.

The SEC teams and fans are not an easy thing to deal with.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.