New BruinTAP card system allows access to two transportation systems

By Madeleine Pauker

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly stated TAP cards are available. TAP cards will become available Aug. 31.

UCLA students and employees can now use one card for two transportation services.

UCLA Transportation officials launched the BruinTAP for Transit program Thursday, which will allow students to load their Go Metro passes and BruinGO! Flash passes on a TAP card, a reusable bus and Metro fare card.

A BruinGO! Flash pass allows students to ride the Culver City Bus or the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus for $33 per quarter, and a Go Metro pass provides unlimited Metro rides for $65 per quarter, according to UCLA Transportation.

Students can purchase the Flash and Metro pass and load them onto the same TAP card, instead of having to carry two separate cards, which would give them unlimited bus and Metro access for $98 per quarter.

Pashmeen Kaur, a rising second-year mathematics and economics and statistics student, said she has never used a TAP card because she is unfamiliar with the Los Angeles public transportation system, but would be more likely to use it with the BruinTAP system.

Students can buy the passes online or in person at the Central Ticket Office. TAP cards will be available online, in Metro stations or ticket offices on Aug. 31.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.