Rio recap: Aug. 18

In her first Olympic appearance, Karsta Lowe is already making a huge impact with Team USA. Lowe notched up 13 kills against Serbia during the United States’ loss Thursday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Daily Bruin Sports

This year, at the 2016 Summer Olympics, 36 past, current and future UCLA athletes will compete in Rio de Janeiro. Each day, the Daily Bruin will wrap up the different events with Bruin highlights, key performances and upcoming events.

Women’s golf

Mariajo Uribe (Colombia), Giulia Sergas (Italy)

The two women golfers that hail from UCLA have been steady in their performance thus far.

Colombia’s Mariajo Uribe shot par today with a 71 to maintain her overall score of -1. However, she fell in the rankings to being tied with six others for 32nd.

Italy’s Giulia Sergas only fared marginally better than yesterday, shooting a 74 or three over par. Today’s performance brings Sergas to +9 and drops her ranking to 54 out of 60.

Written by Grant Sugimura, assistant Sports editor.

Track and field – men’s shot put

Nicholas Scarvelis (Greece)

Nicholas Scarvelis, fresh off of his record five-year UCLA tenure, competed in his signature shot put event earlier today. He failed to make the finals, throwing 19.37 meters, which is far shorter than his best – he threw 20.61 meters at the Triton Invitational earlier this year. Scarvelis’ 2016 Olympic road ends here, but some of his greatest collegiate competition advanced and then some. Ryan Crouser, a Texas alumnus who along with Scarvelis was an indoor All-American this year, won the gold medal and set the Olympic record.

Written by Michael Hull, assistant Sports editor.

Women’s volleyball

Karsta Lowe, head coach Karch Kiraly (USA), USA vs. Serbia

It was meant to be. Then it wasn’t.

Team USA came up just short of a finals appearance today as they fell in a heated five sets against Serbia (25-20, 17-25, 21-25, 25-16, 13-15).

UCLA alumna Karsta Lowe was the hero for the US, notching 13 kills in 21 attempts while the rest of her team remained in single digits.

Lowe was having a big fifth set, but a crucial hitting error late in the set allowed Serbia to tie it up and eventually take the whole match.

In an Olympics full of surprises, the top-ranked Americans will now fall to the lower bracket and play the loser of the match between China and the Netherlands.

China, led by former U.S. coach Jenny Lang Ping, toppled two-time defending Olympic champions Brazil. The Netherlands are in Olympic volleyball competition for the first time in 20 years.

Daily Bruin Sports