Professor names new species of fish in honor of late UCLA student

The small fish species, Eucyclogobius kristinae is being named after Kristina Louie, a student researcher who died in 2004. (Courtesy of UCLA newsroom)

By Evolet Chiu

Aug. 15, 2016 12:48 a.m.

Kristina Louie, a student researcher who died in 2004, gave a small fish species its scientific name – the Eucyclogobius kristinae.

Ecology and evolutionary biology professor David Jacobs decided to honor Louie by naming the fish after her because of her dedication to studying it as a graduate student.

Louie died suddenly due to inflammation of the brain at age 29, soon after she received her doctorate degree in the department of ecology and evolutionary biology. During her time at UCLA, she studied the Southern Tidewater Goby extensively. The Eucyclogobius kristinae, which was previously categorized with the Northern Tidewater Goby, became its own species July 29.

The fish is found only at Camp Pendleton in San Diego County. It differs primarily from the Northern Tidewater Goby in that Eucyclogobius kristinae has more neuromasts on its head. Neuromasts are sensory organs that detect movement.

Louie was concerned about the welfare of the environment and studied human impact on small fishes in aquatic ecosystems along the West Coast, Jacobs said. She also researched mollusks, seahorses and pipefish. Her studies on the goby contributed to nearly two decades of culminating research that led up to the official speciation.

Jacobs said Louie wrote her doctoral dissertation on saving the diversity of coastal organisms.

Isabel Rosario, Louie’s friend in graduate school, described her as a dedicated researcher and teacher who enjoyed snorkeling, rock climbing and baking in her free time.

Jacobs, who was also a co-author of the paper naming the fish, said the future of the southern goby is hopeful. He is working with the Fish and Wildlife Service on identifying potential sites where lagoons can be restored to expand the species’ habitat.

Evolet Chiu | Science & Health editor