Rio recap: Aug. 12

UCLA alumna Nirra Fields scored seven points off the bench for Team Canada, but Team USA pulled away for an 81-51 victory to hand the Canadians their first loss in four Olympic matches. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

By Daily Bruin Sports

Aug. 13, 2016 12:20 a.m.

This year, at the 2016 Summer Olympics, 36 past, current and future UCLA athletes will compete in Rio de Janeiro. Each day, the Daily Bruin will wrap up the different events with Bruin highlights, key performances and upcoming events.

Women’s Basketball

Canada vs. USA

Canada hung tough with Team USA for the first 15 minutes but the American steamroller used its size and suffocating defense to pull away for an 81-51 victory Friday afternoon.

UCLA alumna Nirra Fields entered as a sub midway through the first quarter but was second on Team Canada with seven points on 2/5 shooting. She also recorded two rebounds and a steal in almost 14 minutes of play.

In the first quarter, Canada was never down by more than five points, finishing the period with a 18-16 deficit. From the second quarter on, however, it was all United States. The Americans held the Canadians to only six points the rest of the first half, and the trio of Elena Delle Donne, Tina Charles and Brittney Griner were unstoppable in the paint. The three combined for 28 points on 10/16 shooting as well as 13 rebounds and four blocked shots.

Canada and Spain are now tied for second place in Group B with seven points, as the top eight countries reach the quarterfinals. The Canadians’ last group play match is Sunday against the Spaniards in a battle for second.

Written by Hanson Wang, assistant Sports editor.

Men’s Water Polo

USA vs. Montenegro

UCLA alum Josh Samuels had two goals and led the American offense for the second game in a row, but it was not enough to power the United States past Montenegro.

Rising junior Alex Roelse made his first start of the Games, and in Montenegro’s first possession he was excluded. USA’s opponent took advantage and jumped out to an early 1-0 lead.

After Stanford alum Bret Bonanni tied it up, Montenegro went back ahead at the end of the quarter. The game remained 2-1 until Samuels turned his defender, cut towards the goal and arched a shot over goalie Milos Scepanovic to tie the game with 4:20 to go in the third.

In the fourth quarter’s opening minute, Roelse was called for a five-meter penalty shot, registering his third exclusion of the game. During the foul, University of the Pacific alum Alex Obert hit Montenegro’s center, and he received a red card.

USA was left with six field players, according to the announcers, for the rest of the game. Starting goalie Merrill Moses blocked the penalty shot, but on the power play Montenegro went up by two and won the game 8-5.

Team USA, now 1-3, has been eliminated from medal contention and will play their last Olympic game Sunday in a rematch against Italy.

Written by Michael Hull, assistant Sports editor.

Women’s Volleyball

USA vs. Italy

Team USA maintained its perfect record with a hard-fought four-set victory over Italy (25-22, 25-22, 23-25, 25-20). The Americans commanded the match for long stretches and a loss never looked to be in the cards, but the Italians refused to give in and avoided losing in straight sets.

Bruin alumna Karsta Lowe played her part in the win, collecting 12 spikes throughout the course of the match.

Team USA, coached by former Bruin Karch Kiraly, continues its quest for the coveted gold medal against China on Sunday in their final preliminary round match.

Written by Winston Bribach, Daily Bruin reporter.

Badminton

Howard Shu (USA) vs. Tommy Sugiarto (INA)

Howard Shu of Team USA fell to Indonesia’s Tommy Sugiarto after two sets in his first Olympic match Tuesday morning. Sugiarto, the No. 7 seed, dominated the recent UCLA graduate 21-14 and 21-10. Shu will face Cuba’s Osleni Guerrero in his second match of the Group J preliminary round Saturday morning.

Written by Dylan Sanders, Daily Bruin reporter.

Chew/Subandhi (USA) vs. Kazuno/Kurihara (JPN)

In their second match of the Olympics, UCLA alumna Jamie Subandhi and her partner, Philip Chew, lost once again in straight sets. Kenta Kazuno and Ayane Kurihara of Japan easily defeated the American athletes 21-6 and 21-12. Subandhi and Chew will face Jacco Arends and Selena Piek of the Netherlands, with whom they are currently tied for third place in Group D, Saturday afternoon.

Iris Wang (USA) vs. Telma Santos (POR)

Team USA’s Iris Wang won her second match of the Games on Friday evening, defeating Telma Santos of Portugal in three sets. After losing the first set 18-21, Wang, a current UCLA student, battled back to win the next two 21-10 and 21-12. Wang currently holds first place in Group E and will face China’s Li Xuerui, the No. 3 seed, in her final match of the preliminary round on Sunday.

Women’s Soccer

Brazil vs. Australia

There was another penalty shootout Friday, but this time the favorites came away with the 0-0 (7-6) victory.

After recording her first shutout in her first national team appearance, UCLA goalkeeper coach Aline Reis did not start for the hosts, but Bárbara Micheline do Monte Barbosa more than held her own in goal.

Both teams were held scoreless through 120 minutes in a physical matchup – Brazil and Australia combined for 29 fouls and six yellow cards.

In the shootout, each country’s first four shooters converted, but Brazilian midfielder Marta’s attempt was saved. Australia midfielder Katrina Gorry then had a chance for the win, but Bárbara denied her. Three rounds later, Bárbara made another save, sending Brazil to the semifinals against Sweden on Tuesday.

Daily Bruin Sports