Rio recap: Aug. 8

Nirra Fields hit a big 3-pointer and put the Canadians ahead of Team Serbia with a layup off the bench. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Daily Bruin Sports

This year, at the 2016 Summer Olympics, 36 past, current and future UCLA athletes will compete in Rio de Janeiro. Each day, the Daily Bruin will wrap up the different events with Bruin highlights, key performances and upcoming events.

Women’s basketball

Canada vs. Serbia

After steamrolling China in their opening match, the Canadians fought back against a tough Serbia team to win 71-67 in their second preliminary game. For large stretches, Serbia held large leads and Canada looked second best in nearly every measure. Then, in the third quarter, Canada turned to the bench and UCLA alumna Nirra Fields for a much needed spark plug. Fields didn’t disappoint. Immediately after entering the game, she grabbed a steal and a rebound, allowing Canada to cut away at the game’s sizeable deficit. Later on, Fields played huge role in pushing the Canadians over the top. She tied the game with a key three-pointer and put Canada ahead with a layup. Fields totaled eight key points and made a huge case to get more minutes in the upcoming matches. Canada faces Senegal on Wednesday in its third game of the preliminary round.

Written by Winston Bribach, Daily Bruin reporter.

Rowing – Women’s eights heats

Australia

UCLA graduate Meaghan Volker and her Australian women’s eight finished in last place overall in the preliminary heats of the event. The United States and Great Britain boats, the two respective winners of heats one and two, automatically qualified for the finals.

Volker’s boat will compete in a repechage to determine the final places in the final on Wednesday.

Written by Michael Hull, assistant Sports editor.

Men’s tennis

Poland vs. Spain

Marcin Matkowski and his partner narrowly lost in the second round of the Olympics doubles tournament. The Pole and former UCLA tennis starter was playing in his fourth Olympics. (UCLA Athletics)

Spain’s No. 8-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut and David Ferrer defeated former Bruin Marcin Matkowski and partner Lukasz Kubot of Poland 6-3, 7-6(5) in the men’s doubles second round at the Olympic Games in Rio on Monday.

The Spanish duo took advantage of the Poles right from the start. Agut and Ferrer dominated Matkowski and Kubot in points won on first and second serves and break points in the opening set.

And the Polish duo couldn’t hold on. Despite a sharper second set, the Spaniards managed to walk away with a straight set victory.

Ferrer took Matkowski’s Olympic hopes away in 2012 as well, beating him and his partner in the first round of competition in London, England.

Monday’s loss comes after the duo took down India’s Rohan Bopanna and Leander Paes 6-4, 7-6(6) in the first round Saturday.

Written by Charlie Levin, Daily Bruin reporter.

Women’s volleyball

USA vs. Netherlands

Team USA came back from a 2-1 deficit to defeat the Netherlands in five sets (18-25, 25-18, 21-25, 25-20, 15-8).

UCLA was well-represented on the court with coach Karch Kiraly heading up the team, an athlete who graduated in 1983.

Along with Kiraly, 2015 alumna Karsta Lowe plays opposite for the team.

Lowe finished the day with three kill attempts but zero kills.

The Netherlands looked commanding in the first set but was unable to maintain their torrid pace.

The United States women’s national team rolled over Puerto Rico in three sets during their first match. Now Team USA will go into three matches against Serbia, Italy and China.

Written by Grant Sugimura, assistant Sports editor.

Men’s water polo

USA vs. Spain

The scenario that unfolded against Croatia similarly struck Team USA again in their 10-9 loss to Spain on Monday morning.

After UCLA alumnus Josh Samuels won the opening sprint, things were close for the majority of the opening quarter. Spain went up by two with 19 seconds left, but after a steal by rising junior Alex Roelse in the opening minute of the second quarter led to a goal, the Americans were back in the mix. The game was tied at half 5-5.

In the third however, Spain drew one exclusion each on Roelse and Samuels that directly led to a goal in both cases, and after a third exclusion came for Samuels with 12 seconds left in the quarter, he had to sit out for the rest of the game. USA was still only a goal back, but Spain pulled ahead as the Americans committed a series of turnovers, forsaking their offensive possessions.

With Stanford alumnus Alex Bowen’s goal as the final minute began, USA was only down one. As Spain’s shot clock began to dwindle with close to 30 seconds remaining, Roelse was excluded for his third time as well, and this gave Spain another 30-second possession to close out the game.

USA, now 0-2, will play France on Wednesday.

Daily Bruin Sports