UCLA medical centers rank fifth nationally according to new study

UCLA Medical Center, which includes hospitals in Westwood and Santa Monica, ranked fifth in the nation and first in the state in new rankings from the U.S. News and World Report. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Ryan Leou

UCLA hospitals in Westwood and Santa Monica ranked fifth in the nation and first in California for best hospitals, according to rankings released Monday by U.S. News and World Report.

The 2016-2017 rankings evaluated nearly 4,400 hospitals and highlighted the top 20 hospitals, according to the U.S. News and World Report. The UCLA Health System dropped back down to fifth after placing third in the nation last year.

Hospitals received points depending on whether they were nationally ranked in one of 16 specialties and the number of high ratings they earned in nine procedures and conditions.

The ranking uses extensive publicly reported data on patient outcomes, infection rates, nursing staffing levels and procedure volume, among other factors, according to a UCLA press release.

UCLA Health also ranked in the top ten of 12 specialties, including second in geriatrics, third in urology, fourth in ear, nose and throat and fifth in cancer, gastroenterology and ophthalmology. UCLA Medical Center placed behind the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, Massachusetts General Hospital and Johns Hopkins Hospital in Maryland.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor