UCLA players, alums participate in World Cup of Softball

After totaling just one home run across 620 at-bats during her UCLA career, outfielder Allexis Bennett has already gone deep twice this summer for team USA. She is one of six Bruins representing the United States on the international stage. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Louie Greenwald

July 11, 2016 12:04 a.m.

UCLA softball players past, present and future are helping team USA get off to a strong start at the 11th World Cup of Softball.

The Women’s National and Elite teams are 6-1 and 4-2 respectively to open the tournament.

A contributing factor to Team USA’s early success has been its Bruin-heavy roster with seven players and alumni.

Senior shortstop Delaney Spaulding led the Bruins in home runs and RBIs in 2016, powering the team through the regionals and to an eventual College World Series berth.

Her hot hitting continued into the summer. She leads the National Team with three home runs and nine RBIs.

Former UCLA standout pitcher Ally Carda is also doing her part for the National Team. Carda, a rock in the Bruins’ rotation from 2012 to 2015, has tossed six scoreless innings and struck out 12.

Meanwhile, outfielder Allexis Bennett, a key cog in the UCLA’s offensive attack this past season – leading the team in hits as a senior – is proving to be a real spark plug for the USA Elite Team.

Bennett leads the Elite Team in hits, RBIs and runs. Surprisingly, she is tied for second on the team with two home runs after hitting none during her senior campaign.

Fellow recent graduate third baseman Mysha Sataraka, who led the Pac-12 in walks as a senior this year, continues to show similar plate discipline for the Elite Team. Her six walks are tops on the team.

Junior catcher Madeline Jelenicki has also made solid contributions to the Elite Team, leading the team with three home runs.

Joining these players on the Elite Team is incoming freshman Madilyn Nickles. The 2015-2016 Gatorade National Softball Player of the Year was the marquee name of the Bruins’ most recent recruiting class.

Though she is the youngest member of the Elite Team, Nickles started against Mexico and homered, driving in two runs. She is hitting .500 overall in the tournament.

Although UCLA failed to win a game in the Women’s College World Series this year and hasn’t won a National Championship since 2010, the program continues to churn out impact players for Team USA.

Louie Greenwald | Sports and A&E writer
Greenwald currently writes for Arts & Entertainment. He covered the UCLA softball team as a sportswriter in 2016.