UCLA’s rich history of first-round NBA draft picks in review

Kevin Love, the 2008 Pac-10 Player of the Year, recently won the 2016 NBA Championships with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Love was the fifth overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Louie Greenwald

Zero banners and zero national championships over the last 21 years haven’t stopped UCLA from producing NBA-level talent.

Over the last 10 years, 11 Bruins have been selected in the first round of the NBA draft, the most of any Pac-12 school and the same as perennial powerhouse the North Carolina Tarheels.

A handful of these UCLA draft picks are finding success at the professional level.

On Sunday, Kevin Love, a three-time All-Star and 2008 first-round draft pick with the Memphis Grizzlies, helped the Cleveland Cavaliers secure their first NBA title over the Golden State Warriors and former Bruin Kevon Looney.

With the Cavaliers trailing 2-1 heading into game four, Love returned from a concussion to shift the momentum in the series. In game seven, Love led his team in rebounding and played lockdown defense on Steph Curry, preventing the two-time league MVP from hitting a game-tying three down the stretch of the fourth quarter.

Love, the 2008 Pac-12 Player and Freshman of the Year, also played an integral role in UCLA’s 2008 post-season run. The Pac-10 champions and No. 2 team in the country reached their third straight Final Four before falling to a Derrick Rose-led Memphis team 78-63.

6.23.sports.uclanba-02

Russell Westbrook, the starting point guard on that Final Four team, was another 2008 first round pick. The Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year, Westbrook was selected with the fourth pick by the then-Seattle Super Sonics, one pick ahead of Love.

Now a starter with the Oklahoma City Thunder, Westbrook has developed into one of the best point guards in the league, appearing in five All-Star games and winning two All-Star game MVP awards.

During the 2015-16 season, he led NBA point guards in assists and rebounds and led the league with 18 triple-doubles. The Long Beach, California native finished the season fourth in MVP votes behind Curry, Kawhi Leonard and LeBron James.

In 2009, Jrue Holiday, Westbrook’s heir-apparent in Westwood, declared for the draft after one year with the Bruins. Holiday, the older brother of current UCLA player Aaron Holiday, was selected 17th overall by the Philadelphia 76ers that spring.

In 2013, his lone All-Star season, Holiday averaged 17.7 points per game and 8 assists.

After being traded to the New Orleans Pelicans, he led the team in steals during the 2015-16 season.

Zach LaVine, another one-and-done player, left for the draft after playing as the sixth man behind Kyle Anderson, UCLA’s starting forward at the time and the 30th pick in the 2014 draft. Behind LaVine, UCLA won the Pac-12 tournament over conference foe Arizona and advanced to the Sweet 16 in coach Steve Alford’s first year.

LaVine impressed scouts with his athletic abilities and was selected with the 13th pick by the Timberwolves in 2014, joining 2013 first-round pick and fellow Bruin Shabazz Muhammad in Minnesota.

LaVine became a household name after winning the 2015 Slam Dunk contest and then repeating the following year. The 6-foot-5-inch guard narrowly edged the Orlando Magic’s and former Arizona power forward Aaron Gordon after two tie-break rounds.

Gordon put together a series of dazzling dunks which included a between-the-legs jam over the Magic’s mascot.

LaVine answered though with his own impressive set of slams, clinching the contest on between-the-legs dunk from the free throw line.

Although no players from UCLA are projected to be selected in this year’s draft, there promises to be at least a couple of Bruins drafted next year if freshman guard Lonzo Ball, sophomore guard Aaron Holiday and senior guard Bryce Alford enter the draft.

Louie Greenwald | Sports and A&E writer
Greenwald currently writes for Arts & Entertainment. He covered the UCLA softball team as a sportswriter in 2016.