Radio analyst to step down, coach in NBA’s Developmental League

Former UCLA point guard and radio analyst Darrick Martin signed a deal to become the head coach of the NBA Developmental League’s Reno Bighorns. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

By Hanson Wang

UCLA found a new play-by-play announcer for football and men’s basketball three weeks ago, and now another broadcast position is up for grabs.

UCLA men’s basketball radio analyst Darrick Martin agreed to a deal Wednesday to become the head coach of the NBA Developmental League’s Reno Bighorns.

The former Bruin played on seven different NBA teams during his 13-year career, including two seasons with the Bighorns’ NBA affiliate, the Sacramento Kings, and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Before his lone year as a radio analyst, Martin held several coaching roles. He served two seasons as an assistant coach and player development specialist for the Minnesota Timberwolves. He then joined St. John’s University as an assistant coach and the director of basketball operations under former UCLA head coach Steve Lavin.

Martin competed for the Bruins from 1989-1992 and was named to the 1989 freshman All-Pac-10 team. He ranks third in assists and sixth in steals in UCLA history.

The departure comes after Bill Roth stepped down from his position as play-by-play announcer of UCLA football and men’s basketball one season earlier in June.

Hanson Wang | Alumnus
Wang joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2019. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's soccer, men's tennis and women's tennis beats.