Bruins pitch in as US women’s water polo wins third World League title

Attacker Rachel Fattal scored a goal as the U.S. women’s water polo team won its third consecutive World League Champion title 13-9 over Spain. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By TuAnh Dam

The U.S. women’s water polo team rolled through another tune-up event heading into the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. The defending gold medalists won their third consecutive World League Super Final title and their third title of the year while only dropping two matches this season.

The U.S. team, led by former UCLA coach Adam Krikorian, outlasted Spain 13-9 in the title game, a rematch of the 2012 Olympics gold medal game.

Incoming freshman attacker Maddie Musselman scored two goals in the title game and 11 overall in the tournament.

Defender KK Clark and attacker Courtney Mathewson, who both helped the Bruins win five straight national championships from 2005 to 2009, each chipped in two additional goals.

Redshirt junior attacker Rachel Fattal added another goal for the national team, which is currently riding a 10-game win streak.

Mathewson, who scored six goals over the tournament, was named the MVP.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.