Softball to face elimination after 8-1 super regional loss to Oregon

Redshirt junior pitcher Paige McDuffee, who came in during the second inning to relieve sophomore pitcher Johanna Grauer, pitched only one inning in Saturday’s loss to Oregon. McDuffee posted a stat line of five hits, six earned runs, a walk, a home run allowed and only one strikeout. (Ken Shin/Daily Bruin)

By Brent Troop

UCLA softball’s nine-game winning streak came to a screeching halt Saturday evening.

The No.12 Bruins (38-14-1, 16-5-1 Pac-12) were hit hard in the first game of the super regional series against the No. 5 Oregon Ducks (48-8, 20-4 Pac-12), losing 8-1 to the reigning Pac-12 champs.

After throwing 9 2/3 dominant innings against the Ducks during the regular season series, redshirt junior Paige McDuffee entered Saturday’s matchup during the second inning in relief of sophomore pitcher Johanna Grauer.

McDuffee – who inherited runners on first and second – needed only four pitches to get a double play and an inning-ending strikeout.

The third inning was a much different story for the left-hander, as a bunt single and a walk set up Oregon shortstop Nikki Udria for an RBI opportunity.

Udria sent a single back up the middle to McDuffee, who overthrew UCLA freshman first baseman Brianna Tautalafua to bring around the Duck’s first run. Udria was followed up by outfielder Koral Costa, who hit a double to the right field gap to add another run to Oregon’s lead.

The inning continued to get worse for McDuffee and the Bruins. Junior outfielder Gabrielle Maurice misplayed a single to left field and two more Oregon players crossed home plate.

McDuffee’s final pitch came against Oregon catcher Janelle Lindvall, who deposited it over the left field wall to give the Ducks a commanding 6-0 lead.

UCLA’s offense managed to get itself on the board during the fourth inning, scoring a run off Oregon pitcher Cheridan Hawkins.

The scoring play was mired in controversy, as freshman outfielder Paige Halstead ­– who grounded into a fielder’s choice to score sophomore catcher Madeline Jelenicki – was ruled out at first for taking off her helmet while the ball was still live.

Sophomore pitcher Selina Ta’amilo replaced McDuffee on the mound, pitching the final four innings for the Bruins. Ta’amilo’s only blemish came during the fifth inning, as Lindvall knocked her second two-run home run of the game.

The Bruins and Ducks will square off again tomorrow at 4 p.m. with UCLA facing elimination.

Brent Troop | Alumnus
Troop joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's water polo, softball and swim and dive beats.