Battle of the Editors: Rookie of the year

Freshman Jose Hernandez powered the Bruin offense this season. The Pac-12 Freshman of the Year scored 11 goals and had four assists, leading the team with 26 points. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By TuAnh Dam, Michael Hull, Grant Sugimura, and Hanson Wang

Battle of the Editors: Next year’s Daily Bruin Sports editors square off in their first co-publication ever. The new kids at the helm argue who they think should be UCLA’s rookie of the year.

TuAnh Dam: Josh Rosen

web.sp.battleoftheeditors.rosen.MB.jpg
Freshman Josh Rosen capped off his rookie career with multiple honors. The quarterback was named an All-American and the Pac-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Few freshmen come into Westwood with more fanfare than UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen. The Manhattan Beach native started all thirteen games for the Bruins and rewrote the history books en route to All-American honors. The former No.1-rated quarterback per Scout.com mixed jaw-dropping plays – a 70-yard pass against Stanford – with freshman mishaps – a disastrous outing against USC. But with a season’s worth of experience, Rosen enters the 2016 season as a Heisman dark-horse candidate with a chance to build on his 8-5 record and put UCLA in the conversation for a national title.

Michael Hull: Greta Wagner

web.sp.battleoftheeditors.wagner.DC.jpg
Redshirt freshman Greta Wagner scored key points for the Bruins at the Pac-12 championships. The pole vaulter will compete as the No. 15 seed at the NCAA regionals this weekend. (Diana Chen/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt freshman pole vaulter Greta Wagner has – in her first competitive season – already put herself on the UCLA all-time top-10 list. She is a consistent source for points for a women’s track and field team that has in recent years struggled to perform at the Pac-12 championships. Her jump in the Seattle rain was nearly a foot lower than her highest this year, but her six points were the difference between the women finishing fifth and seventh.

Seeded No. 15, Wagner is one of 20 women on the team who will represent the Bruins at the NCAA regionals this weekend. She only needs to move up three places to make the national championship meet – as a freshman.

Grant Sugimura: Micah Ma’a

web.sp.battleoftheeditors.maa.AYeo.jpg
Micah Ma'a guided UCLA back to the NCAA semifinals in his first season in Westwood. A first-team All-American, the rising sophomore played both setter and hitter as the Bruins finished 25-7. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

First-team AVCA All-American, first-team All-MPSF, All-MPSF Tournament team, Off the Block freshman All-American, four time co-national Freshman of the Week by Off the Block, freshman record-holder and NCAA semifinal appearance – what more could you ask for from a first-year student? Hawaii’s own Micah Ma’a is the quintessential rookie of the year. A leader on the floor, Ma’a is a huge reason why things are looking up for men’s volleyball. They made the Final Four this year, one round shy of a national championship berth.

Hanson Wang: Megan and Nicole McNamara

web.sp.battleoftheeditors.mcnamara.AYeo.jpg
Both of the McNamara twins racked up beach volleyball accolades this season for their school and their country. The freshmen capped off the year with a bronze medal at the FIVB U21 World Beach Volleyball Championships (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The freshmen twins compete in arguably the most inconspicuous sport at UCLA – beach volleyball – but they have racked up accolades this season. Both were named First Team All-Pac-12, to the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team, 2016 DiG Magazine First Team All-Americans and DiG Magazine Co-Freshmen of the Year.

The pair were also the first-ever all-freshman pair to be named AVCA All-Americans, so we’re talking about a historically dominant team. And not only do the McNamaras represent UCLA, but they also compete for their home country. They captured a bronze medal for Canada at the FIVB U21 World Beach Volleyball Championships this year, so deservingly, the McNamaras should share the rookie of the year award.

TuAnh Dam: Jose Hernandez

UCLA men’s soccer struggled this season but still managed to reach the second round of the NCAA Tournament and finish 11-9-1 this year. A big part of that was Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Jose Hernandez. The midfielder started 20 games for the Bruins, led the team in points during the season and was one goal away from tying the UCLA freshman record for goals in a season.

Hernandez scored the winning goal in a 4-3 overtime comeback against UC Irvine and again in a double-overtime win against Washington. The rising sophomore powered the Bruins’ offense last year and should do so again next season.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.
Michael Hull | Alumnus
Hull joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the men's water polo, women's water polo, women's soccer, track and field and rowing beats.
Grant Sugimura | Alumnus
Sugimura joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the women's basketball, men's volleyball, women's volleyball, beach volleyball, men's soccer and swim and dive beats.
Hanson Wang | Alumnus
Wang joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2019. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's soccer, men's tennis and women's tennis beats.