GSA recap – May 25

By Elisa Lee

The Graduate Students Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are at 5:30 p.m. in the Ackerman Viewpoint Lounge.

Agenda

• The forum agreed to pay a UCLA extension student for his interim term as the Melnitz Movie Director this spring. The forum was informed that he was ineligible for the position later in the quarter, but decided to compensate him regardless. The payment would not overextend GSA’s budget.

• The forum approved limiting campaign expenses to $500 for the next academic year. Previously, the election code stated that there were no campaign expense limits.

• Christine Wilson, executive director of graduate programs and first year experience, and Valerie Shepard, assistant director of the Graduate Student Resource Center, presented to the forum about their goal to build a stronger connection with graduate student programs.

• Nerve Macaspac, Equity, Inclusion & Diversity Graduate Welcome Day coordinator, requested that the forum publicize EID Graduate Welcome Day, an event for all new UCLA graduate students to network with current UCLA graduate students. Macaspac asked the council to recommend panels for the event. The event will take place on September 15.

• Macaspac added there will be a networking event after EID Graduate Welcome Day from 4 to 6 p.m. The graduate orientation coordinator said the office is looking for 90 to 100 volunteers for EID Graduate Welcome Day.

• Luke Shaw, co-president of Bruin Shelter, announced that the student-founded, student-run homeless shelter for college students, will open in fall 2016. Shaw said Bruin Shelter is now part of the Community Service Commission.

• Lindy Comstock from the Humanities Council and Scottie Buehler from Bruins Against Sexual Harassment requested the council endorse their BASH and Assault Platform. Comstock and Buehler said they aim to remove all serial offenders, clarify and specify sexual harassment policy, and form a democratic community oversight board.

• The committee did not approve the baseline budget proposal overview.

Officer Reports:

• Joel Lanzaga, vice president of academic affairs, spoke about restructuring subcommittees and about how that will affect student representation. Lanzaga also said he is looking for space on campus to increase class sizes due to the increased enrollment next year.

Elisa Lee