Women’s water polo clinches third place in NCAA tournament

Senior goalie Alex Musselman recorded eight saves in the third place game against Michigan, three of which came in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

By Kelsey Angus

UCLA’s two-goal lead was down to one, and Michigan’s Kim Johnson broke away from the Bruin defense for a one-on-one opportunity against senior goalie Alex Musselman.

Johnson, with the opportunity to tie the game, fired a low shot at the goal, but Musselman was there for the stop.

The Bruins were able to maintain their 5-4 lead as the clock wound down thanks to this save along with two saves in the final minute from Musselman. The win over No. 4 Michigan (30-8, 7-0 Collegiate Water Polo Association), capped off the season for No. 3 UCLA (26-5, 5-1) with a third-place NCAA Tournament finish.

The No. 2 Stanford Cardinal eliminated the Bruins from championship contention and forced UCLA to rebound from the loss before the season finale.

“One way or another, we had to play the game,” said coach Brandon Brooks. “Your season comes to an end, and it’s much better to go out on a win than a loss. So, we had to show up and find a way to get it done.”

UCLA came out strong with a 3-0 lead Sunday thanks to efforts from sophomore utility Alexis Angermund and junior utility Mackenzie Barr. Angermund finished with a hat trick and Barr chipped in two more goals for the Bruins.

The Wolverines didn’t make victory easy for the Bruins. After UCLA shut out Michigan for the first quarter and a half, the Wolverines scored three consecutive goals to tie up the game with two minutes remaining in the second quarter.

The Bruins regained their lead at the end of the third quarter, and the focus shifted toward maintaining that advantage.

“We tried to use most of the clock on offense,” Angermund said. “We really put all of our energy on defense. We just wanted to use the time going into the fourth.”

Musselman’s pivotal stops and good management of the game clock were essential in the win, but what the game came down to was simple.

“We just managed to score more than they did,” Barr said. “That’s about it.”

web.sp.wwp.KMay.PicB.jpg
With a team-high eight shots on cage against the Wolverines, junior utility Mckenzie Barr scored two of the Bruins’ five goals and added two steals on defense. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Looking to the future, next year’s team will have strength in a place that this year’s team lacked: experience.

“I think that next year’s team will all of a sudden be a very experienced team,” Brooks said. “We should have nine seniors. I think all year, we struggle with consistency and communication – it starts with that.”

The offseason will likely be a busy one, as Brooks plans on working the team hard in the skills that it can improve: “Everything.”

Email Angus as [email protected] or tweet @kelseyangus1.

Kelsey Angus | Alumna
Angus joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, women's water polo and swim and dive beats.