Submission: US needs bipartisan support for Israel to aid relations

Abortion, gun control, healthcare – it sometimes seems as though no one can agree on anything nowadays. The president comes up with a plan and Congress blocks it. Congress comes up with a plan and the president blocks it. Some have called the current government the least effective in American history. The past several years have sadly seemed to prove these government skeptics right.

Politics has become my life. During my first two quarters at UCLA, I interned for my Congressman Ted Lieu, who represents California’s 33rd district, and learned the ins and outs of a congressional office. Last quarter, I got the opportunity to be a precinct chair for the Hillary Clinton campaign in Las Vegas, and watched the Nevada caucus unfold. In her California campaign, I will be a summer fellow. On campus, I am proudly involved in Bruin Democrats with like-minded students. I watch C-SPAN and read Politico articles for fun.

In all of this political involvement, I have found that only one issue brings both liberals and conservatives together: strengthening and celebrating the U.S.-Israel relationship. In the midst of bills always split almost exactly along party lines, these pro-Israel bills and resolutions routinely pass unanimously. Almost always, such bills and resolutions are co-sponsored by party leaders on both sides of the aisle in both houses.

At this year’s annual American Israel Public Affairs Committee Policy Conference, Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton joined all three remaining Republican candidates, Donald Trump, Sen. Ted Cruz and Gov. John Kasich. Democrats Vice President Joe Biden and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, joined Republicans House Speaker Paul Ryan and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy. They and many other leaders shared similar stories of their personal connections to the Jewish state, as well as their vast appreciation and dedication for the relationship between that state and their country. As I attended this year’s conference, I was struck by the wide variety of sessions headlined by members of Congress from both parties sharing this narrative.

Sadly, it seems to have become conventional wisdom on campus that pro-Israel issues are increasingly connected only to conservative issues. However, nothing could be further from the truth.

Some have criticized Barack Obama as unenthusiastic in his defense of Israel. Yet, in fiscal year 2012, Obama secured the largest amount of funding for the Jewish state in American history. He also expanded funding for the Iron Dome missile defense system and repeatedly signed onto resolutions expressing bipartisan congressional support for Israel’s right to defend itself. He has maintained repeatedly that Israel cannot be expected to negotiate with the Hamas, saying that “the slaughter of innocent Israelis is not resistance, it is injustice”. At the United Nations, the president has time and time stood up against anti-Israel bias.

Clearly, Democrats also do strengthen the U.S.-Israel alliance, the strongest alliance between any two nations in the world.

In my view, liberals support Israel because liberals stand up for liberal values. Israel is the only true democracy in the entire region. Both stable and secular, Israel’s democracy allows for equal rights for minorities, women and the LGBT community.

Liberals understand that it is fundamental to protect rights for these said groups. While gays and lesbians are being hanged all over Iran, there are gay pride parades in Tel Aviv. While women are not permitted to drive in Saudi Arabia, Israeli women command businesses. While religious and ethnic minorities in Syria are killed, minorities in Israel serve in the Knesset and on the Supreme Court. The reasons why we stand with and love Israel are clear.

Prominent liberals and hard-core conservatives could not be further apart on nearly every single issue. Yet, on the issue of Israel’s security, they proudly and loudly stand together.

As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton helped to enact the toughest sanctions on Iran in its history and left all options open, promising “massive retaliation” if Iran ever touched Israel, while Ted Cruz as senator introduced legislation barring the U.S. from negotiating with Iran until Iran recognizes Israel’s right to exist.

Ted Cruz wrote a resolution condemning the Hamas’ civilian human shields, while Hillary Clinton negotiated a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas and made sure both sides avoided war in Gaza.

Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz both support Israel’s security barrier and demand the release of Hamas- and Hezbollah-captured Israeli soldiers.

Ted Cruz wrote the Obama-signed bill that denies visas to any UN ambassador engaged in espionage or terrorism, while Hillary Clinton co-sponsored legislation both to block all foreign aid to Hamas and to pressure Syria to end its support for terrorism.

My parents fled Iran, a country not too far in distance, but quite distant in terms of values. I am proud to stand with Israel. And this Israel Independence Week, I am proud to live in a country where liberals, conservatives and everyone in between does, too.

Boudaie is a first-year political science student and serves on the executive board of both Bruin Democrats and the TAMID Group at UCLA.