UC regent to remain board member despite ethical violations

A University of California doctor remained on the UC Board of Regents despite ethical violations, according to a ProPublica article. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Shreya Maskara

A University of California doctor remained on the UC Board of Regents despite several ethical violations, in his attempts to negotiate a deal between his eye clinics and UCLA, according to a ProPublica article.

ProPublica, a nonprofit news organization, found a confidential report that showed Dr. William De La Peña, a professor of ophthalmology and founder and medical director of several Southern California eye clinics, engaged in discussions about a deal he had a financial interest in.

Letters obtained by ProPublica show Daniel M. Dooley, who was appointed to oversee the investigation, summarized in March 2015 the results of a private investigation authorized by UC officials. Dooley said the investigation revealed De La Peña violated the board of regent’s conflict of interest rules and engaged in what he called “improper governmental activity.”

UC President Janet Napolitano received the letter summarizing the investigation results, but it was never made public. UC spokesperson Kate Moser said in an email statement that Regent De La Peña resigned from his position as chairman of the committee on health services after the investigation.

Moser added in an email statement that Regent De la Peña, who she said did not personally benefit from the transaction between UCLA Health and the eye centers, denied any wrongdoing in the incident. He will continue to be an overall member of the board until his term expires in 2018.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor