Softball wins home series against ASU for first time in more than a decade

Junior outfielder Gabrielle Maurice hit a walk-off, three-run home run Saturday night to win the game en route to a series sweep of Arizona State. (Pinkie Su/Daily Bruin)

By Brent Troop

UCLA softball recorded their 14th and 15th comeback wins of the year on the heels of two three-run walk-off home runs.

The No. 15 Bruins (33-13-1, 14-5-1 Pac-12) got out their brooms and swept the Arizona State Sun Devils (27-22, 3-15), winning their first home series against ASU in more than 10 years.

The official theme for the matchup was “senior weekend,” but it might as well have been “home run derby.” UCLA and Arizona State combined for 10 home runs – five of which came Sunday.

Unlike the first two games, Sunday was a one-sided affair that saw sophomore catcher Madeline Jelenicki outscore the Sun Devil lineup by herself.

Following a hit and two walks, Jelenicki blasted a grand slam to left field, creating a lead the Bruins would hold on to for the rest of the game.

The Sun Devils did attempt a comeback of their own in the third inning, hitting two solo home runs to narrow the lead to 4-3.

UCLA’s offense wouldn’t relent though as Jelenicki hit her second home run of the day and junior shortstop Delaney Spaulding added another for insurance.

This weekend’s slugfest began Friday when senior third baseman Mysha Sataraka smashed a ball over the wall in right-center field to give the Bruins a 2-0 lead. Freshman first baseman Brianna Tautalafua then added to UCLA’s score with a home run of her own, giving the team a 3-1 lead that they would blow during the sixth and seventh innings.

In the bottom of the seventh – with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd – Sataraka stepped up to the plate and promptly launched a ball off the Easton scoreboard in left field to win 8-6.

“Words can’t describe it – it was such a blessing to see so many people who care about me,” Sataraka said. “It was a honor to have them watch me play for the last time.”

After coaching Sataraka for four years, UCLA softball coach Kelly Inouye-Perez praised Sataraka’s growth at the plate from her first home game to her last.

“There’s no words to describe how Mysha has improved from freshman year to senior year,” Inouye-Perez said. “She’s literally become one of the most feared hitters in the country.”

Saturday’s game saw the UCLA bats fall cold, as the team entered the bottom of the seventh trailing 5-0.

The Bruins began the inning with back-to-back singles by senior outfielder Allexis Bennett and sophomore second baseman Kylee Perez. Another two hits by Spaulding and Jelenicki helped further cut the Sun Devil lead to 5-3.

Eleven pitches later, junior outfielder Gabrielle Maurice swatted a ball over the outstretched glove of Arizona State senior outfielder Jennifer Soria, sealing the 6-5 win.

“I wasn’t quite sure (if it was a home run),” Maurice said. “I was sprinting around the bags.”

With the weekend sweep, the Bruins moved to second in the Pac-12 standings and have now won 13 of their last 16 games.

Brent Troop | Alumnus
Troop joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's water polo, softball and swim and dive beats.