UCLA softball set sights on Arizona State after dispatching Arizona

Sophomore catcher Madeline Jelenicki is a dangerous hitter of the middle of UCLA softball’s lineup, as she’s tied for the team lead with 20 extra-base hits this season. (Ken Shin/Daily Bruin)

By Brent Troop

UCLA softball will be switching its sights to Arizona State after knocking off another Arizona school this past weekend.

The No. 15 Bruins (30-13-1, 11-5-1 Pac-12) host the Sun Devils (27-19, 3-12) at Easton Stadium this weekend in their last regular season home series of the year.

Since losing to No. 10 Washington at home in late March, UCLA went undefeated in weekend series – going 4-0 against conference opponents – and currently boasts a home record of 6-1 during this stretch.

The Bruins will look to move to second place in the Pac-12 standings this weekend, as they are facing a Sun Devils team that is unusually weak this season. Arizona State sits second to last place in the Pac-12, just barely ahead of winless Stanford in the Pac-12 standings.

The Sun Devils went winless in their past three weekend series against conference opponents. Combined, Arizona State was outscored 66 to 32 by No. 5 Oregon, No. 10 Washington and Utah.

Over the past three home series against the Sun Devils, the Bruins have struggled, dropping seven of their last eight games. UCLA’s last home win against Arizona State came nearly three years ago in a closely contested 3-2 victory.

The heart of the Bruins’ lineup will play a key role in this upcoming series, as junior shortstop Delaney Spaulding, senior third basemen Mysha Sataraka and sophomore catcher Madeline Jelenicki hit 15-31 with 16 RBIs in their series win against the Arizona Wildcats.

Brent Troop | Alumnus
Troop joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's water polo, softball and swim and dive beats.