UCLA’s hitting surge to be tested by top-rated Fullerton pitching

Redshirt senior outfielder Eric Filia will face arguably the nations best pitching staff against Cal State Fullerton. The Titans sport a team ERA of 2.23 and have allowed the fewest hits nationally. (Mackenzie Possee/Daily Bruin)

Baseball

Cal State Fullerton
Tuesday, 7:30 p.m.

Fullerton, CA
ESPNU

By Matt Cummings

The Bruin hitters will tell you that they’ve changed their approach, that their recent success is evidence that the offense has turned a corner.

That theory will be tested Tuesday when UCLA baseball (19-18, 9-9 Pac-12) heads to Cal State Fullerton (24-14, 7-2 Big West) to take on the Titans’ elite pitching staff.

Fullerton’s pitchers own the lowest ERA, 2.23, and walks plus hits per inning pitched, or WHIP, of 1.00, in the nation, as well as the fourth-best strikeout-to-walk ratio. They allow the fewest hits in the country, at fewer than 6.5 per nine innings.

The Bruins enter the contest with 33 runs scored in their past four games, as many as they produced in their previous 10 combined.

“Our guys have done a really good job of being tougher outs,” said coach John Savage. “You’re seeing less strikeouts … You’re seeing two outs and we string together a bunch of at-bats. It seems like the innings are not over yet, where before, you know, it seemed like the inning was over after the first out.”

After burning through all four of its most experienced starting pitchers over the weekend, Fullerton will likely take a staff approach to Tuesday’s game against UCLA baseball.

That’s not exactly a bad thing for the Titans.

Freshman right-hander Gavin Velasquez will make his second start of the year for Fullerton. Working primarily out of the bullpen, Velasquez has maintained a 1.26 ERA and a 0.49 WHIP this year.

Although he will take the ball first, Velasquez will likely be out of the game quickly. He has not lasted more than two innings in any appearance – in his lone start of the year thus far, he exited after two hitless frames and just 20 pitches.

The Bruins will probably take a staff approach as well, with freshman righty Jon Olsen taking the mound at the top of the game. Olsen started last Tuesday against Pepperdine and was pulled in the third inning, leaving the Bruins to use seven more pitchers to finish off the Waves.

Olsen and the Bruins are seeking their fifth straight win, which would tie their longest streak of the year. The sweep of Oregon helped UCLA climb back into contention for a playoff berth and possibly even the Pac-12 title.

“I think we were basically literally out of the mix – it just goes to show you what one weekend can do,” Savage said. “I think you saw (over the weekend) what we thought we might see early in the year. A lot of good signs, but we’ve still got to build off that.”

Their momentum will be challenged by a Fullerton team that has been on fire recently, winning six of its last seven and 12 of its last 15 to move into a tie with Cal Poly for first place in the Big West.

Velasquez will be the first right-handed starter the Bruins have faced in over a week. Over the season, they’ve hit .242 against righties, 20 points worse than they’ve hit against lefties.

Those numbers, though, are no doubt influenced by the Bruins’ recent success against a parade of left-handers. Perhaps, as they would tell you, they’ve simply turned the corner as an offense.

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.