Women’s water polo senior reflects on triumphs, memories as a Bruin

Southern California was an adjustment for senior Charlotte Pratt after growing up in Burlingame. The attacker is ready for the next step after her four years at UCLA, eyeing a move to the East Coast. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Pump-Up Playlist

“Sweet Child O’ Mine” (Guns N Roses)
“Lush Life” (Zara Larsson)
“Afterhours (feat. Diplo & Nina Sky)” (TroyBoi)

By Melissa Zhang

The headline accompanying the original version of the article incorrectly identified Charlotte Pratt as a goalie.

Intensely demanding and physically arduous, United States Navy SEALs training regimens are not for the faint of heart. Thankfully, senior defender Charlotte Pratt is anything but faint hearted.

During Pratt’s sophomore year, the entire team spent three days going through Navy SEALs training in Coronado, California. Although it pushed them all to their limits, the exhausting experience became one of Pratt’s favorite memories from her time with the UCLA women’s water polo program.

“I look back on it and it was the most grueling thing, but it brought us so close as a team,” Pratt said.“ That was a really cool experience that I would’ve never gotten the opportunity to do.”

Over the past four years, Pratt has amassed a large collection of experiences and memories as a Bruin. However, her college path was unclear for a long time before the sociology student finally chose UCLA.

A four-year varsity water polo and lacrosse player in high school, Pratt almost ended up on the lacrosse field rather than in the pool.

The Burlingame, California, native debated whether she should move east to play lacrosse or south to play water polo. Ultimately, she decided to make her choice based on the college she liked best.

One visit to UCLA sealed the deal.

“I took a Junior Day down here and (former UCLA goalkeeper) Sami Hill was practicing,” said Pratt. “I walked on deck with my mom and she immediately swam over and said hi. It was small little gestures that just made me feel at home right away.”

The only northern Californian in her class, Pratt was initially worried because her teammates had played together in the past and were more familiar with each other.

“I feel like I was kind of nervous about that. But immediately, we all clicked,” said. Pratt. “It’s indescribable, how well our team has bonded over the past four years, and how close we’ve felt.”

The past four years haven’t been easy. For Pratt, one of the hardest things about collegiate water polo was the amount of work necessary for excellence.

“I had no idea what hard work was before I came here,” said Pratt. “It’s just given me such a great appreciation for the sport and for the friends that I’ve made. This program’s given me everything.”

Despite the challenges presented, Pratt has been able to adjust to the rigors and demands of UCLA women’s water polo, while playing key roles for the team as well.

“Charlotte is an extremely level-headed and positive presence on the team,” said assistant coach Molly Cahill. “Her work ethic is amazingly consistent and her compassion for her teammates is one of her strongest qualities. She leads by example and with a quiet confidence.”

Within the team, Pratt found her support system in fellow seniors India Forster and Alex Musselman. From living in Hedrick Summit during their freshman year to goofing off after late practices, the trio has spent the past four years together both in and out of the pool.

“They are just such big goofballs,” Pratt said. “I just feel so lucky to have met my best friends at the same time that I’ve been able to compete for UCLA.”

In 2015, Pratt earned Mountain Pacific Sports Federation All-Academic honors and played in 27 games with six starts, netting a total of 20 goals. She has started 14 games so far during her final season and coach Brandon Brooks has increasingly relied on her presence in competitions.

“She’s the warrior,” Brooks said of Pratt. “She’s worked super hard and she was extremely coachable, waiting her turn and competing everyday.”

Pratt has consistently put in the effort to improve, establishing herself as a formidable competitor against other teams.

“She’s a real success story as far as coming in and valuing competition and working hard to get better and putting in extra time,” Brooks said. “It’s put her in a place where, now, we count on her so much.”

After graduation in spring, Pratt hopes to take a break from water polo and sunny Southern California as she heads off to explore new places.

“I’m looking to move to the East Coast. I figure if I don’t leave California now, I never will,” Pratt said. “I think I’ll want to come back, but I’m really excited about it – I want to experience seasons.”

Not everyone can handle the frigid chills of the East Coast. Then again, not everyone has gone through Navy SEALs training either.

Melissa Zhang | Alumna
Zhang joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the women's water polo, women's soccer, women's volleyball, men's volleyball, and cross country beats.