Women’s water polo ace India Forster prepares for life after UCLA

India Forster will play at Spieker Aquatics for the final time Saturday. The senior almost never entered a water polo pool at all. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Pump-Up Playlist

“My House” (Flo Rida)
“Work” (Rihanna)
“Shake That” (Eminem)

By Savannah Shapiro

It was India Forster’s freshman year at Agoura Hills High School and it was time to run the mile after volleyball practice.

Forster hated running and looked for any way to avoid the mandatory mile, and luckily for her, there happened to be an alternative.

“You didn’t have to run the mile if you played water polo,” Forster said. “So I was like, ‘You don’t sweat, it’s fun and it’s so easy.’ I joined water polo and quit volleyball and stuck with water polo ever since. And here I am now.”

Forster immediately switched from the court and into the pool, placing herself on the path that would soon lead to a four-year college water polo career.

Since the beginning of her freshman season in 2013, the 6-foot center established herself as a reliable player for UCLA women’s water polo. She played in 28 games in her first season and started in 13.

“India has always brought a ton of spirit and energy,” said coach Brandon Brooks. “She’s a very fiery competitor. I think that when we find the right zone for that and the right speed for her to bring that out, it’s always been great for our team – people feed off of that.”

However, it was during her standout freshman season on March 9 where Forster made a lasting impression.

“She stepped up when we had some injuries to our centers when she was a freshman,” Brooks said. “She stepped up and had a really good game against Cal to help us get a big win. She’s always been there contributing and playing with heart.”

The immediate dominance that Forster bolstered in her first year as a Bruin established her as one of the strongest centers for the team.

Not only that, but she met two other players on the 2013 season roster that became two of her closest friends.

“(My greatest memory is) probably freshman year coming in here and meeting Charlotte (Pratt) and Alex (Musselman),” Forster said. “We’ve stuck together and have been roommates for four years now and it’s just incredible. We are best friends.”

The dynamic trio has been together from the start of their freshman year to the end of their senior year. Over the course of four years so many memories were created with the team – especially with Pratt and Musselman – that pinpointing a favorite moment is near impossible.

“There’s so many. Every time we go out we just have so much fun together,” Forster said. “I think it’s just like before a game we come together and just talk things out and it’s very inspiring. Always being with them is my favorite thing.”

Similar to the memories that the three have shared, Forster’s presence in the pool will resonate for years to come.

“India is a fierce competitor,” said assistant coach Molly Cahill. “She is always working and competing with 100 percent effort in whatever we are doing. Whether it is in the pool or at other team-building exercises, she is constantly trying to out work and outsmart the competition.”

For Forster, her senior year has been her best yet. She is tied as the leading scorer for the Bruins, with 35 goals already, more than doubling what she scored at the end of last year’s season.

Brooks emphasized Forster’s willingness to work hard at a consistently high level. Her hardworking demeanor has proven to be a valuable asset in keeping up high energy among the team.

Aside from her dedicated work ethic, Forster has maintained a balance between working hard and enjoying her time at UCLA. In the pool, Forster’s lighthearted personality and encouraging spirit became an infectious quality.

“She’s definitely a character,” Brooks said. “She’s fun, likes to have a good time and be goofy at times.”

As the 2016 season is rapidly approaching its end, the possibilities of what to pursue after graduation are undefined for the senior.

“I think I am going to coach for a little bit,” Forster said. “And then I flew a plane – one of the girls on the team’s dad has a plane – so I might want to get my pilot’s license.”

Whatever career path Forster may follow, whether it is in a pool or in the air, as long as it’s not running, the future seems promising.

Savannah Shapiro | Alumna
Shapiro joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2018. She spent time on the women's water polo, men's water polo and baseball beats.