Softball to take on Pac-12 rival Arizona in road series

Senior center fielder Allexis Bennett leads the Bruins in hitting, posting up a .442 average on the season. (Ken Shin/Daily Bruin)

By Dylan Sanders

It is the series that UCLA softball looks forward to the most – a face off with longtime rival Arizona.

The two programs have amassed a total of 19 national championships since 1982, with UCLA ahead with 11. The competition runs fierce every time these two storied programs go head-to-head, as they will Saturday when the No. 15 Bruins (28-12-1, 9-4-1 Pac-12) travel to Tucson for a three-game series against the No. 17 Arizona Wildcats (31-12, 8-4).

“The Arizona and UCLA series is talked about all over, even in the (Southeastern Conference),” said senior center fielder Allexis Bennett. “It is the ultimate rivalry when it comes to softball.”

Although the Bruins have won eight of their last nine match-ups against the Wildcats dating back to 2013, the circumstances are more intense than in years past.

UCLA has slowly gained momentum throughout midseason play, but faltered a little in its last series against Oregon State. The Bruins lost their first game in two weeks to the Beavers on April 15 before regaining control in their 8-0 mercy-rule win Sunday. Arizona is now riding an eight-game winning streak after sweeping Stanford last weekend.

The Pac-12 South rivals are neck and neck in the conference standings, with UCLA maintaining a second-place lead over Arizona by only one win. Both teams are potential playoff contenders.

Now, as they near the end of the regular season, the Bruins welcome the upcoming challenge.

“When you get to the postseason, that’s how every game is,” said sophomore catcher Madeline Jelenicki. “I think it’s just a really good eye-opening experience for the freshmen and for us to kind of get our feet back in the water of hostile environments.”

The batter’s box at Hillenbrand Stadium will certainly be a hostile environment for UCLA hitters this weekend. Sporting a 1.97 ERA, Arizona starter Danielle O’Toole has allowed only three runs in her last 15 innings pitched.

As Arizona’s starting lineup is made up of mainly upperclassmen, UCLA will rely on many of its own experienced juniors and seniors to take charge against the familiar veteran team.

“(Senior third baseman Mysha Sataraka) has really stepped it up and come out of her shell, especially from her freshman year,” said sophomore pitcher Johanna Grauer. “Now she’s a big impact for the team on the field.”

With few regular-season series remaining, the Bruins must continue to build momentum if they are to host an NCAA regional.

“As a senior class, we’re going to tell (the underclassman), ‘Enjoy this. This rivalry is unlike anything you’ve ever played, and it’s gonna be a lot of fun,’” Bennett said.

UCLA will begin the road series against Arizona Saturday at 2 p.m.

Dylan Sanders | Alumnus
Sanders joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until 2017. He spent time on the baseball, softball and men's soccer beats.