USAC, UCLA Career Center aim to increase student access to DC jobs

The USAC Office of the President and UCLA Career Center aim to increase students’ access to government-related jobs and internships centered around Washington, D.C., by purchasing subscriptions to the website Brad Traverse Job Listings. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Elisa Lee

UCLA students can now access a new website that offers government-related jobs and internships primarily centered around Washington, D.C.

The USAC Office of the President and UCLA Career Center purchased subscriptions to Brad Traverse Job Listings, a website that lists government-related internships and jobs. Currently, it contains more than 3,000 job listings.

USAC President Heather Rosen said increased student interest in finding jobs in Washington, D.C., motivated her office to provide the service free to students.

Christopher Howell, industry relations interim associate director at the UCLA Career Center, said the majority of jobs listed on BruinView are based in California, but Brad Traverse Job Listings will offer students opportunities to work on the East Coast.

“BruinView listings offer a strong geographic representation that connects students to employers who have jobs and internships in California,” Howell said. “(But we) are looking to catalog many more D.C. and government employers for students’ use.”

Howell said no UCLA Career Center or UCLA funds were used to purchase this subscription, but he could not disclose the cost. Howell added the 1967 USAC President Robert Michaels provided the funds to purchase the subscription.

Ashley Feldman, a fourth-year political science student, said she thinks Brad Traverse Job Listings is a useful tool for students interested in careers in the public sector.

“Not many students are aware of available government positions,” Feldman said. “Any job-listing (websites) that cater to political science students helps us be aware of jobs available to us.”

Students can access Brad Traverse Job Listings by following instructions posted on their BruinView accounts.

Elisa Lee