UCLA continues to delay the Daily Bruin’s access to public documents

The UCLA Records Management and Information Practices Office has delayed access to the Daily Bruin’s request public documents four times. The Daily Bruin requested the documents about why UCLA stopped its participation with the the Westwood Organized Meaningful Projects in January. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

The UCLA Records Management and Information Practices Office has delayed the Daily Bruin’s access to public documents for 20 days.

The Bruin requested emails under the California Public Records Act on Jan. 30 about why UCLA ended its participation in the Westwood Organized Meaningful Projects.

UCLA students and community members worked on projects to clean and beautify Westwood during the service event. WOMP, first held in 2010, did not happen in 2015 or 2016.

Steve Sann, chair of the Westwood Community Council, created and helped organize WOMP, and the UCLA Volunteer Center sponsored the event. About 300 people participated in 2014.

The California Public Records Act, signed into law in 1968, requires public institutions such as UCLA to release documents to the public upon request.

The office delayed The Bruin’s request four times. The office originally informed The Bruin they would deliver the documents by March 29, but moved the delivery date to April 8 on March 30. On April 7, the office postponed the delivery date to April 15. On April 15, the office postponed the date to April 29.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.