Women’s rowing has up-and-down weekend in South Carolina invitational

Against a number of highly ranked opponents at the Clemson Invitational in South Carolina, UCLA women’s rowing had mixed results. (Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Sophie Zollman

The UCLA women’s rowing team had another up-and-down regatta this weekend at the two-day Clemson Invitational on Lake Hartwell in South Carolina.

The Bruins had four boats competing on both Saturday and Sunday: the varsity eight, second varsity eight, varsity four and second varsity four.

On Saturday, the varsity eight finished in second place in both of its races. In the morning the boat finished with a time of 6:48.20, crossing the finish line behind No. 4 Ohio State. That afternoon, the boat finished with a time of 6:30.10 behind No. 13 Indiana.

The UCLA varsity four also had a successful opening day Saturday, finishing in the top three in both of its races.

In the morning, the Bruins finished in second place, 1.7 seconds behind the first-place Buckeyes, with a time of 7:51.90 and in the afternoon the boat placed third with a time of 7:24.40, four seconds behind the Crimson.

Unlike the first day of the regatta, the Bruin boats found themselves struggling to finish in the top three on Sunday.

All four of UCLA’s boats raced again Sunday morning. The varsity eight finished fourth with a time of 6:45.50, behind Syracuse, No. 10 Michigan and No. 3 Virginia, which finished first.

The varsity four also struggled, finishing in fifth place with a time of 7:47.10 behind Oklahoma, Syracuse, Michigan and Virginia, respectively.

The Bruins will take a two-week break before their next competition April 30, when they will travel south to race crosstown rivals USC Trojans.

Sophie Zollman