Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – April 13

By Sierra deSousa

The Westwood Neighborhood Council meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to Westwood Village and the surrounding areas.

Comments by public officials

• Faisal Alserri, senior planning deputy for LA City Councilman Paul Koretz’s office, said his team is redrafting its Baseline Mansionization and Hillside Ordinances to limit the buildable area on lots to 50 percent of the lot size. He added his team is considering nominating Connie Boukidis, chair of the council’s land use and planning committee, to the Westwood Design Review Board.
  • Jasmine Shamolian, field deputy for Koretz’s offic, said the streets from Sunset Boulevard to Wilshire Boulevard were recently re-striped. She added she hopes to improve communication between Councilman Koretz’s office and the council.
  • Megan Furey, marketing manager of the Westwood Village Improvement Association, also known as the BID, said the BID received 83 percent renewal for the next 10 years. She added the BID will hold a community discussion to build a plaza in Westwood April 18.
  • Nikki Svara, operations manager for the BID, said portions of the sidewalks on Westwood Boulevard and Kinross Avenue were reconstructed and three mature Chinese flame trees were planted to replace the trees that were removed.

Public comments

• Danny Siegel, general representative for UCLA’s undergraduate student government, informed the council that he is running to be the next Undergraduate Students Association Council president. He said his goal is to make the students more engaged in the Westwood community.
  • Sophie Arbaugh, co-founder and co-president of the UCLA chapter of Circle of Sisterhood, asked the council for permission to hold a 5K walk behind the sorority houses on Hilgard Avenue. The council granted the student group permission upon approval of the walk route.

Motions

• The council unanimously voted to extend the review period for the Japanese restaurant Asuka’s hearing so that the council has time to consult the community about the restaurant’s lack of parking.
  • The council unanimously voted to award Neighborhood Purpose Grants up to $4,300 each to Emerson Community Charter School, Fairburn Avenue Elementary School, Warner Avenue Elementary School, Friends of Westwood Library, West LA Little League and the Los Angeles Conservancy.
Sierra deSousa | News reporter
Sierra deSousa is currently a news reporter covering Westwood, transportation and Los Angeles. She has also covered the University of California.