Head of BlackRock, alumnus Laurence Fink to speak at 2016 commencement

Laurence D. Fink (center), chairman for BlackRock, will be the commencement speaker for the College of Letters and Science on June 10. (Creative Commons by Financial Times via Flickr)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

Laurence D. Fink, UCLA alumnus and businessman, will be the keynote speaker at the UCLA College of Letters and Science commencement ceremonies on June 10 in Pauley Pavilion, UCLA officials announced Thursday.

In 1988, Fink helped create finance management company BlackRock, which has managed more than $4.6 trillion on behalf of clients. BlackRock manages pension funds, university endowments and retirements funds, among other accounts.

Joseph Rudnick, senior dean of the College of Letters and Science and dean of physical sciences, said he thinks Fink’s experience in business and finance can inspire graduates to be successful.

Fink received his bachelor’s degree from UCLA in 1974 and his MBA in 1976. He received the UCLA Medal, the university’s highest honor, in March. The UCLA Medal is awarded to people with distinguished academic and professional achievement, and whose work and contributions to society represent UCLA’s ideals.

Fink will speak at both commencement ceremonies June 10 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.