Friends, family honor Brian Kuan by channeling his adventurous spirit

Brian Kuan, a third-year cognitive science student who transferred from California Polytechnic State University Pomona, died of health complications Friday at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. He was 21 years old. (Courtesy of Kiera Kosciolek)

By Kiera Kosciolek

Brian Kuan’s sister Cindy remembers catching Brian as he slid down snowy mountains and ran along trails on family hikes. She said her brother was never afraid to go cliff jumping or stand over the ledge during hikes.

“He was very brave and unafraid of the things most people would be scared of,” said Cindy Kuan.

Brian Kuan died of health complications Friday at Ronald Reagan Medical Center. He was 21.

Brian’s adventurous spirit is reflected in the motto “live it up,” a phrase Kuan’s friends and family have adopted to honor his carefree spirit and enthusiasm for life. Kuan’s roommate and close friend Hubert Tran, a third-year political science student, is working with a startup nonprofit company the Wanderlosters, a peer mentoring group, to create team hikes for underprivileged youth in Kuan’s honor.

“I think he would have loved it,” Cindy Kuan said. “He was always looking for a challenge or an adventure … (and) he always loved the idea of being involved with nonprofit.”

Aline Du, a third-year French and European studies student and Brian’s floormate, said that when he was not adventuring, he was always available to have a thoughtful conversation or give advice.

“We’re all transfers on the floor, we’re all very close,” Du said. “We’re kind of like family.”

Marlina Mossberg, a third-year communication studies student and another of Brian’s floormates, said Brian was always willing to give advice to his neighbors, or even help them with the most mundane chores.

“My roommate and I are horrendously bad at … putting the bottom sheets on our bed,” Mossberg said. “Whether it was noon or 2 a.m., he was willing to roll out of bed and help me with anything and everything.”

Cindy Kuan added Brian had always been willing to go above and beyond for his friends since he was young.

“He never said no to people,Cindy Kuan said. “He was (the kind of friend that was) willing to risk getting in trouble for you.”

Bez Fassihi-tash, a third-year economics student and Brian’s roommate, said Brian helped him settle into Los Angeles when he first moved, and took him to his driving test.

“You could always count on him if you needed something,” he said.

Fassihi-tash and Tran said their residential floor dynamic changed after Kuan passed.

“The things we’re doing to explore and have fun and be adventurous are channeled into honoring him, instead of doing it with him,” Tran said. “It’s very different now.”

Mossberg added she would miss Brian’s calm nature and smile the most.

“He’ll always be one of the dear boys next door,” Mossenberg said.

Cindy Kuan said the impact Brian Kuan left on the UCLA community after only one year was clear from the number of friends who attended his vigil.

She added his search for the next adventure remained a constant through his life. When they were children, they pretended to be explorers in their front yard for hours at a time, collecting flowers and bugs and riding their bikes to new areas.

“The thing about Brian was he was always racing everywhere,” said Kuan. “If we’re going to the front door, we’re racing to the front door. If we’re going to the car, we’re racing to the car.”

His friends and family feel Brian should be remembered for his adventurous spirit, Cindy Kuan said.

“(His motto) means to challenge yourself, to not be afraid, to do all the things you really want to,” said Kuan. “Brian’s passing … is bringing people together. (We’re) just learning to really appreciate life after one has left us.”

Kiera Kosciolek